[alt.config] c.u.wizards vs. c.u.internals

In article <1747@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> Is it time for alt.unix.wizards?

I'll create an alt.unix.wizards in a couple of days unless I get lots of
nasty email. There are clearly a lot of people who want something like it.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

rli@buster.irby.com (Buster Irby) (09/08/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In article <1747@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>> Is it time for alt.unix.wizards?

>I'll create an alt.unix.wizards in a couple of days unless I get lots of
>nasty email. There are clearly a lot of people who want something like it.

Sounds like sour grapes to me Peter!  While you are at it, why don't you
create alt.unix.sco also?  I hear there are a lot of  people who would
like it also!!   :-(

For those unable to detect it, this was a sarcastic posting!  I am
definitely against taking an end run position here.
--
Buster Irby  buster!rli

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (09/09/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
|I'll create an alt.unix.wizards in a couple of days unless I get lots of
|nasty email. There are clearly a lot of people who want something like it.

it doesn't seem wise.  someone might get in trouble for posting to an
alternate reality/pseudo-underground/anarchistic network and wind up
getting sued and losing their source license.

i know i'd worry about it.

--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (09/09/90)

In article <4YQ5MLG@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> Is it time for alt.unix.wizards?
>
>I'll create an alt.unix.wizards in a couple of days unless I get lots of
>nasty email. There are clearly a lot of people who want something like it.

Huh?   I know that some people morn the loss of the old name, but the group
still exists under its new name of comp.unix.internals.   Why on earth
should we need a new alt group to 'shadow' an existing comp group?   It makes
sense to introduce an Altnet group for a new subject that may later migrate
to the Usenet, or for a subject that the main Usenet will not carry, but
not for a subject that is already as well supported as comp.unix.

Regards,      David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or>  ...uunet!mcsun!ukc!stl!dww <or>  PSI%234237100122::DWW
Usenet works on the principle that 10,000 people know more about the answer to
any question than one does.  Unfortunately they know 10,000 different answers.

wayne@teemc.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) (09/09/90)

	Er, I don't suppose anyone thought of asking AT&T legal department
if they have any problem with the name of the group?  As I understand it,
there is an 800 number for source licensees to contact if they have any
questions regarding their agreement.  Not having a source license, I don't
have the number handy.  Rather than relying on net.hysteria, how about a
slightly more logical approach to the problem?

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---     TMC & Associates      --- wayne@teemc.tmc.mi.org
         Operator of the only 240 Horsepower UNIX machine in Michigan