[net.micro] Has anyone seen the following advertisement?

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) (12/16/85)

I found the following ad. in local (Wash. D.C.) BBS.  I was wondering if
anybody had heard of this.  I am kind of skeptical and am assuming it is
another ripoff, but I just wanted to make sure.

/**************************************/

>No, this is no joke.  For $40, plus $1.50 s&h, you get your choice
>of the  following, depending in what machine you have (NY residents
>add sales tax)
>
> - Fully 8088 compatible - Available in 5 or 8mhz speeds
>

>These chips are full 8088/86 clones, except they have been highly
>enhanced  internally, resulting in throughput enhancement from 5 to
>100%.  It works on  Compaqs, IBM's & Clones and have yet to find
>something that doesn't run, and I  have tested everything from BASICA,
>to Symphony, to Flight Simulator...  In the  Compaq, Norton's SI
>returns a speed index of 1.8, an 80% increase in  throughput.  Note
>that I say throughput...  It processes instructions in less  clock
>cycles... there are no changes to the system clock, it stays the same.
>
>To order yours, send a check or money order (no cash) to:
>
>	   Information Systems Services *
>	   221 Park Avenue
>	   New Hyde Park, New York 11040
>

> Please allow 2 weeks for out-of-state checks to clear, money order
>orders ship out in 24 hours...  This is FOR REAL, and it has been
>tested thouroughly by many Sysops.
>
>*No Showrooms, Demonstrations or Walkins*
>
>For you techies, it has:
>1) Dedicated effective address calc hardware which does it's job in
>   2 clock cycles, versus 5-12 for Intel.
>2) Dual internal bus, versus single.
>3) Pre-fetch pointer, versus none, speeds calls, jumps, rets, etc.
>4) Dedicated math section, speeds up math intensive applications by
>   an average of 60 to 80%
>5) Enhanced instruction set, supports BCD, single bit, and other
>   great instructions (new, not in Intel version)
>6) Emulates 8080 (this is amazing, but it does do it!!!)
>7) Low power consumption (CMOS!!!), 300mw vs 1500me Intel
>8) Standby mode, super-low power consumption
>9) Other functions, too many to mention here, but available in
>   specs, extra $3.00 if you want a copy.
>10) Nec has software support for the chip for the PC and other
>    MS- and PC-DOS machines, and even the VAX and other systems.
>
>Don't miss out on this... IT REALLY WORKS, or YOUR MONEY BACK!!!

/**************************************/

If anybody has heard of it, please post to usenet since I am sure everyone
is interested.

Thanks,
--
praveen
This ain't my goddamn planet, monkey-boy!

phaedrus@eneevax.arpa or {seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!eneevax!phaedrus

BillW@su-score.arpa (William Chops Westfield) (12/16/85)

It sounds like they are selling the NEC V20 chip.

This chip was extensively discussed on the net a short
while ago.  Summary:  Yes, its a compatible, and faster,
with the usual speedup being 10-20% in typical programs
(some instructions are sped up more, but most programs
wont have justthose instructions!).

Other places are selling the chip for considerable under
the $40 price you quote.  For example, JDR microdevices
had it advertised for $29.95 (over a month ago)...

BillW

kdale@vaihingen-emh.arpa (Keith Dale) (12/16/85)

>I found the following ad. in local (Wash. D.C.) BBS.  I was wondering if
>anybody had heard of this.  I am kind of skeptical and am assuming it is
>another ripoff, but I just wanted to make sure.

/**************************************/

>>No, this is no joke.  For $40, plus $1.50 s&h, you get your choice
>>of the  following, depending in what machine you have (NY residents
>>add sales tax)
>>
>> - Fully 8088 compatible - Available in 5 or 8mhz speeds
>>

>>These chips are full 8088/86 clones, except they have been highly
>>enhanced  internally, resulting in throughput enhancement from 5 to
>>100%.  It works on  Compaqs, IBM's & Clones.....

Sounds like an ad for NEC V20 or V30's.  They DO work, if you remember
the debates on the net a few months ago..

Keith
<kdale@vaihingen-emh.arpa>

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (12/16/85)

> I found the following ad. in local (Wash. D.C.) BBS.  I was wondering if
> anybody had heard of this. ...
> >No, this is no joke.  For $40, plus $1.50 s&h, you get your choice
> >of the  following, depending in what machine you have ...
> > - Fully 8088 compatible - Available in 5 or 8mhz speeds
> >These chips are full 8088/86 clones, except they have been highly
> >enhanced  internally, resulting in throughput enhancement from 5 to
> >100%. ...
> >For you techies, it has:
> >1) Dedicated effective address calc hardware ...
> praveen
   It sounds like the NEC V20 chip.  (I've lent out my spec sheet, so I
can't check the details.)  However, there is some hype in this ad - the
people I've talked to have reported gains mostly in the 5-15% range, and
they bought the chips for around $25.
--henry schaffer

ray@othervax.UUCP (Raymond D. Dunn) (12/16/85)

In article <457@eneevax.UUCP> phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) writes:
>I found the following ad. in local (Wash. D.C.) BBS.  I was wondering if
>anybody had heard of this.  I am kind of skeptical and am assuming it is
>another ripoff, but I just wanted to make sure.
>
>..[lots & lots of marketing hype]..

This is obviously the NEC V20 and V30 chips which have been discussed
to death on these newsgroups!

Ray Dunn.  ..philabs!micomvax!othervax!ray

GUBBINS@radc-tops20.arpa (Gern) (12/16/85)

Oh ya, Your ad is a rip off as everyone else is selling them for $20.
Check JDR Micro in Byte among others.

Cheers,
Gern
-------

GUBBINS@radc-tops20.arpa (Gern) (12/16/85)

It is the NEC V20/V30 8088/8086 clone that uses an 80188/80186 address
architecture and extra instructions.   Please refer to severl issues over
the past 4 months on INFO-IBMPC and INFO-HZ100.   My advice:  Don't use
it!   It is not 'quite' compatible, is CMOS (may not have the drive
capability for some unusual non-standard designs), requires a different
duty cycle clock (hardware incompatable), and tends to make several machines
and software crash at the worst possible times (a 'gotcha').  Actual user
benchmarks indicate that the speed increase is around 3-6% (which is
trivial) and makes it not worth all the other risks.   Not to mention
Intel is suing them for hardware piracy on stealing the 8088/8086 and
again for the V20/V30.

Cheers,
Gern
-------

jpn@teddy.UUCP (12/16/85)

>>Don't miss out on this... IT REALLY WORKS, or YOUR MONEY BACK!!!
>>
>If anybody has heard of it, please post to usenet since I am sure everyone
>is interested.

This is the NEC V20/V30 series of chips.  The claims made are true, but perhaps
a bit misleading.

>>No, this is no joke.  For $40, plus $1.50 s&h, you get your choice
>>of the  following

This sounds a bit high.  I seem to recall prices being closer to $25.  I
could be wrong - I got mine for free.

>> - Fully 8088 compatible - Available in 5 or 8mhz speeds

This is the V20.  The V30 is 8086 compatible.

>>These chips are full 8088/86 clones, except they have been highly
>>enhanced  internally, resulting in throughput enhancement from 5 to
>>100%.

Well...  PC magazine ran some benchmarks on these chips.  (Just the last
issue or two - sorry, dont have the issue with me just now!) The V20 (8088
clone) seemed to speed up closer to 5% for any normal instruction mix in
existing 8088 code.  (i.e. not taking advantage of the new, extra instructions.
A few instructions are faster, but most are about the same.  PC magazine's
explaination is that the 8 bit data bus is still the bottleneck.  Apparently
the V30 (8086 clone) gets a better average improvement (15% - 30%).

Actually, I had a mandelbrot set generator program that sped up significantly.
This program was doing LOTS of multiplies.

>>       It works on  Compaqs, IBM's & Clones and have yet to find
>>something that doesn't run, and I  have tested everything from BASICA,
>>to Symphony, to Flight Simulator...

Yeah, just about everything I tried worked as well.  I had one game program
which broke, but it was copy protected, and I suspect the speed difference was
the problem more than the V20 instruction set.

>>                                          In the  Compaq, Norton's SI
>>returns a speed index of 1.8, an 80% increase in  throughput.  Note
>>that I say throughput...  It processes instructions in less  clock
>>cycles... there are no changes to the system clock, it stays the same.

Oh, it has already been noted that the Norton's SI program must use a benchmark
that mostly uses the speeded up instructions.  Multiply/Divide, for example.
Also, looping is a bit faster.  Overall throughput increase is MUCH less than
this, however.

>>For you techies, it has:
>>1) Dedicated effective address calc hardware which does it's job in
>>   2 clock cycles, versus 5-12 for Intel.
>>2) Dual internal bus, versus single.
>>3) Pre-fetch pointer, versus none, speeds calls, jumps, rets, etc.
>>4) Dedicated math section, speeds up math intensive applications by
>>   an average of 60 to 80%
>>5) Enhanced instruction set, supports BCD, single bit, and other
>>   great instructions (new, not in Intel version)
>>6) Emulates 8080 (this is amazing, but it does do it!!!)

This is a good summary of the enhancements.  The other "points" strike me
as fluff (WHO CARES if it is CMOS or not!)

I recall seeing an ad for a CPM emulator running on top of MSDOS that uses
the V20's 8080 instruction mode.  I have not seen this in action, however.

One thing that WASN'T mentioned is that the V20/V30 supports the 80186 extended
instructions.  (These are the same as the 80286 unprotected mode extra
instructions)  If you have a compiler/assembler (Microsoft C 3.0 for instance)
that can generate these instructions, you can use them (at the expense of not
being able to run the program on an unmodified PC).

The new, "extra" instructions are available only to the assembly language
programmer.  An article was recently posted to net.micro.pc and net.sources
(<579@moncol.UUCP>) which supplies a series of macros to take advantage of
the new instructions.  Using these instructions has the same caveat as above -
you cannot run the program on an unmodified machine.

John P. Nelson (decvax!genrad!teddy!jpn seismo!harvard!talcott!panda!teddy!jpn)

kim@mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (12/16/85)

> I found the following ad. in local (Wash. D.C.) BBS.  I was wondering if
> anybody had heard of this.  I am kind of skeptical and am assuming it is
> another ripoff, but I just wanted to make sure.
>
> >No, this is no joke.  For $40, plus $1.50 s&h, you get your choice
> >These chips are full 8088/86 clones, except they have been highly
> >enhanced  internally, resulting in throughput enhancement from 5 to
> >100%.  It works on  Compaqs, IBM's & Clones and have yet to find
> >1) Dedicated effective address calc hardware which does it's job in
> >   2 clock cycles, versus 5-12 for Intel.
> >2) Dual internal bus, versus single.
> If anybody has heard of it, please post to usenet since I am sure everyone
> is interested.

What's being described here is the NEC V30 and V20 chips (8086 and 8088
compatible respectively).  Though the performance increase varies with
the application (nearly none for mostly arithmetic applications to over
40% for string-op intensive ones), they do work well.  I have a Fujitsu
u-16s, 8MHz machine, and replaced the 8086 with a V30;  I'd estimate the
aggregate performance increase to be in the 15%-20% range.

There has been considerable discussion on these chips in "net.micro.pc"
over the last couple of months.  There is also an EXCELLENT article (part
1 of 2 parts) in the 5th issue of Micro/Systems Journal.

I'm a bit surprised by the price ... JDR (JRD?) Electronics has been
advertising V20's in the back pages of Byte magazine for about half the
price that you mentioned for several issues now.  I picked up my 8MHz,
ceramic, V30 for $20.10 (+ tax) at a local distributor.

If you decide to install one of these chips, get an 8MHz part as there
*could* be a slight problem with the clock duty-cycle on the 5MHz part.

/kim

--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   415-960-1200

Ghenis.pasa@xerox.arpa (12/17/85)

Sounds like the NEC V20 / V30 chips. Yes, they are for real.