[rec.gardens] Technical term wanted

edwards@houxa.UUCP (D.LEWAN) (12/30/87)

I am looking for the technical term for the reproductive parts of
mosses.  (I have some growing in my apartment so successfully that
it has some and I'd like to be able to tell someone.  "Why?" you
might ask, but the story's too long to tell here.)  Moss' repro-
ductive parts are clearly not flowers, but I don't know what to call
them.  Are they spore capsules?  (I was living under the impression
that spores were reserved for ferns and fungi.)  What else would be
appropriate?

Any wisdom from the net is appreciated.  Thanks.

Doug

[ihnp4 or whatever!]houxa!edwards

baxter@navajo.UUCP (Ray Baxter) (12/30/87)

In article <1953@houxa.UUCP> edwards@houxa.UUCP (D.LEWAN) writes:
>I am looking for the technical term for the reproductive parts of
>mosses. ...  Are they spore capsules?
>Doug

Maybe.  It depends upon what you mean by "reproductive parts."  You are
probably seeing the sporophyte, a long filament which ends in a capsule
which produces spores.  Spore capsule is a fine term for this.

The sperms and eggs of mosses are produced in structures known as
antheridia and archegonia.  The product of the fusion of egg and
sperm is the sporophyte, which grows out of the archegonia.

Ray

--
     D. Ray Baxter                       Department of Biological Sciences
     (415) 723-3902                                    Stanford University

penguin@reed.UUCP (We're not Beatrice) (01/29/88)

    The answer to your question of what is the name for the reproductive
structure of moss, I have two responses.  First, what is growing in your home
is much more likely to be a type of fungus than a moss.  Moss generally stays
out of the home, but fungus will grow anywhere conditions are suitable since
there are fungus spores in the air everywhere.  Secondly there are several
different names for the reproductive organ of a  specific fungus. The general
name for the structure in question is the sporangia.
    Pleased to help.