[sci.med.aids] AIDS Risk and Blood Don.

skaron@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/06/89)

In article <27780@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, asuvax!stjhmc!f100.n226.z1.fidonet.org!
Barrett.Robinson@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Barrett Robinson) writes:

> Could someone please present some facts about the chances of receiving the
> AIDS virus via a blood donation, and/or giving blood via direct transfusions?
>
> You right about the odds being minimal.  This is especially true in the case
of receiving blood donated through the Red Cross. I'm not sure if the exact odds
, but the idea behind figuring them out would be the probability of an improper
 negative result from the blood when tested (the blood is tested a couple of
times to try to account for window period) multiplied by the odds of
transmission if there is HIV in the donated blood (which is fairly easy, but
enough to lower the overall risk).  Since the donated blood is heavily tested
there is a very low risk of getting HIV thru Red Cross Blood.

  There is more of a risk thru getting blood thru private blood banks. As far
as I know these places don't have to test there blood as thouroughly as the Red
Cross does, so there is more of a risk. (There have been lawsuits by patients
 against some of these blood banks because they used infected blood).

  Of course the safest thing would be to donate your own blood ahead of time if
you knew you were having an operation in the near future. If you get in an
accident and need blood, feel pretty confident that you won't get HIV thru Red
Cross blood (I believe there have been only reported two cases of HIV
transmission in this way since testing began.)

  There is no way of getting HIV thru donating blood yourself. The Red Cross
uses only one needle per person, and that needle is sterile. There is also
little  risk of getting HIV by donating directly as the blood flows only from
the donor to the receiver.

  Hope this answers most of your questions.
                                            SKARON@eagle.wes.edu