[sci.med.aids] HIV Transmission Linked to Oral Sex

rjw@PacBell.COM (Rod Williams) (10/03/89)

The New York Times (via AP) reports today (10/3) that the San Francisco
Health Department has documented two cases in which men have become
infected with HIV through oral sex.  This is apparently the first time
that such transmission has been documented in a 'major study', according
to Dr. George Rutherford, head of the department's AIDS office.

Both men who tested HIV-positive had reported having provided oral sex
to numerous partners.  The article didn't say whether the oral sex was
male-male or male-female.
--
Rod Williams                       * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Bellcore                           *    Don't hang about in the closet -   *

lmann%harvard@husc6.harvard.edu (Laurie Mann) (10/05/89)

In article <27677@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, rjw@PacBell.COM (Rod Williams) writes:
> The New York Times (via AP) reports today (10/3) that the San Francisco
> Health Department has documented two cases in which men have become
> infected with HIV through oral sex.  This is apparently the first time
> that such transmission has been documented in a 'major study', according
> to Dr. George Rutherford, head of the department's AIDS office.
>
> Both men who tested HIV-positive had reported having provided oral sex
> to numerous partners.  The article didn't say whether the oral sex was
> male-male or male-female.

Sometime last year, the New England Journal of Medicine reported a
case of a man who contracted AIDS by engaging in oral sex with
a female prostitute.  While the prostitute could never be found
for testing, the man reported he'd seen her shoot up in his presence.
The man in question was impotent and never used drugs. so...

/*The typical American is a married, 32-year-old mother with a career.
/*Gee, and I've worked SO hard to be ATYPICAL!!!
Laurie Mann * harvard!m2c!jjmhome!lmann ** encore!cloud9!jjmhome!lmann
Work:  Stratus Computer		   I log onto the net from Northboro, MA

brianl@uunet.uu.net (Brian Larsen) (10/07/89)

In article <27677@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> rjw@PacBell.COM (Rod Williams) writes:
>The New York Times (via AP) reports today (10/3) that the San Francisco
>Health Department has documented two cases in which men have become
>infected with HIV through oral sex.  This is apparently the first time
>that such transmission has been documented in a 'major study', according
>to Dr. George Rutherford, head of the department's AIDS office.
>
>Both men who tested HIV-positive had reported having provided oral sex
>to numerous partners.  The article didn't say whether the oral sex was
>male-male or male-female.

More importantly to me; did they swallow???