[sci.med.aids] Anti-Gay?

Kenneth.Wall@f101.n305.z1.fidonet.org (Kenneth Wall) (10/03/89)

While watching "The AIDS Quarterly" on PBS Wednesday night I sensed
a kind of anti-gay bias on the part of some of the people inter-
viewed on the program.  Health facilities were being discussed-
who had access to what.  And it was like there was an opinion ex-
pressed by some that "well the white gays have all this medical
care available to them and no one else does."  I think that
probably people who are gay struggled for what is now available
to them (and still struggle) while, probably, no one else really
gave a damn.  I heard this same subtle expression from a PWA re-
cently.  Any one else; or is it my imagination

I think that health care should be available to all people;
the health care system needs to be reevaluated (and redesigned?).
People I work with are saying that the AIDS crisis should be "exploited" to
this end.

Ken

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!305!101!Kenneth.Wall
Internet: Kenneth.Wall@f101.n305.z1.fidonet.org

brianl@uunet.uu.net (Brian Larsen) (10/07/89)

In article <27653@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> Kenneth.Wall@f101.n305.z1.fidonet.org (Kenneth Wall) writes:
>While watching "The AIDS Quarterly" on PBS Wednesday night I sensed
>a kind of anti-gay bias on the part of some of the people inter-
>viewed on the program.  Health facilities were being discussed-
>who had access to what.  And it was like there was an opinion ex-
>pressed by some that "well the white gays have all this medical
>care available to them and no one else does."  I think that
>probably people who are gay struggled for what is now available
>to them (and still struggle) while, probably, no one else really
>gave a damn.  I heard this same subtle expression from a PWA re-
>cently.  Any one else; or is it my imagination

I saw this same show, however my interpretation is different.  While
they did show the clinics that cater primarily to white gay males, they
also gave credit for that being the case because of the mobilization
and determination of that group to create a difference in this epidemic.
I would hope that the position came across more as an inspiration to
other groups rather than a separatist attitude of white gay males.

The part I found truly upsetting was what little was being done in
regards to women and HIV infection.  As it stands, this group is being
the most ignored.  Our country needs to wake up FAST!!!

>I think that health care should be available to all people;
>the health care system needs to be reevaluated (and redesigned?).
>People I work with are saying that the AIDS crisis should be "exploited" to
>this end.

>Ken

You are absolutely correct.  Our health system needs a major redesign.
We should not be having individuals dieing because they can't afford AZT,
or any other medical attention, while those with money get the best of
treatment.

--Brian