[sci.med.aids] Questions on the Viability...

skaron@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/18/89)

In article chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (CJG) writes:

> 1) How long can the virus remain viable outside of the human body.
>
> and
>
> 2) If it can indeed survive outside of the body then how likely
>    is the infection of an otherwise 'nonrisk' person who comes
>    into contact with it.
>
> Question One:
> 	The CDC, several books, and some AIDS information phone
> information lines claim that the virus is inactivated within
> 'a few seconds' or 'a couple of minutes' when it is expelled
> from the body.
> 	On the other hand two books, one information line, and
> two of the medical professionals we spoke to contend that this is
> not the case.  These people say that it can survive for between
> twenty minutes, and 14+ DAYS outside of the human host.  They point
> to an article in JAMA from 1985, a study by the Pasteur Institute,
> and cases of hemopheliacs being given freeze dried, (later re-hydrated),
> blood products who came down with an HIV positive result.

  From what I've heard, the longest is about an hour.  The problem I see with
the article is that they assume HIV should die when the blood was freezed
dried.  However HIV does not need water to survive...It needs the "nutrients"
found in certain body fluids in order to "live".  If freeze drying killed HIV,
then the RED CROSS would be doing it all the time and not need to test each
sample now would they.

> Question Two:
> 	If one accepts the theory that the virus can indeed live outside
> of the body, then one must ask the followup question of how likely
> it might be for a person who comes into contact with the virus to
> become infected.  This might happen in many ways including touching an
> object that has HIV virii on it with a cut hand/extremety, rubbing ones
> eyes or picking ones teeth with virii picked up on the hands, or
> accidental genital contact with a toilet bowl.

  You seem to forget that HIV has to come from a bodily fluid. So even if we
use the example of one hour (which although I believe viability is less, I will
go with that as it is the longest I've heard.), so unless someone
ejaculates,urinates,bleeds,etc. on the object you've touched (and I doubt you
would touch the object in these cases), there is no problem. In the
ejaculation, urination cases, we are probably talking about some form of sexual
activity.  Maybe you would touch something with blood on it. Well HIV will die
with exposure to air in at most an hour, and hopefully if someone bled on an
object they would wash it off.(I think that's common nature for anyone).
I hope your getting the picture that you would be able to tell(becuase there
would be body fluids all over them) the objects you might want to avoid.
(As for toilet seats...First, I hope no one would urinate on the toilet seat...
second you would have to have an open cut if you sat on the seat within that
hour to get it. And there are probably more reasons not to worry,but I can't
think anymore right now...I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE HAS SOME REASONS.)

   Interesting points, and ones that should be answered by someone who can
better explain it than I.  But I hope even by my small number of reasons (even
though it seems long,it isn't) ,that you see that their is not much risk at
all.

Other people with opinions please reply.

   (Knowing my luck though I'll get someone who will want to ring my neck).

                                                Steve Karon
                                                SKARON@eagle.wes.edu
                                             or SKARON@wesleyan.bitnet