[sci.med.aids] Project

Tigre.Sindri@f626.n250.z1.fidonet.org (Tigre Sindri) (10/19/89)

 Hi everyone, I'm new to this echo but was wondering if I could get some help.
For school we are doing a project on viruses and bacterial invections and I
picked aids. We have to do a pamphlet that resembles one that are put out by
goverments, i.e right to the point and packed with facts. The only problem is
until I met someone that had it the whole idea of aids flew over my head. Aids
to me was just numbers and statistics and something I didn't have to worry
about. Well I wanted to end the pamphlet with a human factor. I want to end in
a way that tells people that aids isn't just numbers but a reality that people
must deal with. Does anyone out there have any ideas on a short paragraph that
sums up the human side?
Thanks.

Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!250!626!Tigre.Sindri
Internet: Tigre.Sindri@f626.n250.z1.fidonet.org

skaron@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/20/89)

In article <28306@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, Tigre.Sindri@f626.n250.z1.fidonet.org
(Tigre Sindri) writes:

> Hi everyone, I'm new to this echo but was wondering if I could get some help.
>For school we are doing a project on viruses and bacterial invections and I
>picked aids. We have to do a pamphlet that resembles one that are put out by
>goverments, i.e right to the point and packed with facts. The only problem is
>until I met someone that had it the whole idea of aids flew over my head. Aids
>to me was just numbers and statistics and something I didn't have to worry
>about. Well I wanted to end the pamphlet with a human factor. I want to end in
>a way that tells people that aids isn't just numbers but a reality that people
>must deal with. Does anyone out there have any ideas on a short paragraph that
>sums up the human side?
>Thanks.

Well thanks for your post, and let's see what we can do.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to get out a "Human Factor" in a short
paragraph. It seems we'd need a top-notch writer to get out those feelings in
such a short space.  But I do have some ideas you might feel are useful.

However I think certain statistics are useful in such a paragraph. These
include the recent findings that an average of 1 in 10 college women have had
an abortion (Christian Broadcasting Network in coordination with the Gallup
polling service). An average of 1 in 6 college students come down with an STD
(Not sure of source, but many Health Clinics will confirm this). Now if these
are happening so frequently, then the threat of spreading HIV,AIDS etc. is a
definite possibilty. Also around 30-35% of AIDS patients are between 20-29.
Given time for symptoms to develop this means they probably came in contact
with HIV between the ages of 16-26.

These numbers can be used to show how very close HIV infection is to people of
our age. People just aren't practicing safer sex in large enough numbers, no
matter what certain people tell you.

I could probably give a "Human Factor" in a short time if I was able to talk
and not have to write it. Unfortunately I can not write this "Human Factor"
in to a short paragraph. I hope there are others who can and will help you.

Education is the best way to get the message across, but that education means
nothing if you don't use it.
Remember you decide what activities you do, but it is also you who live with
the consequences of those actions.
Everyone thinks "Not me",but it is those who are most likely to get what they
don't want.
If everyone wants to live peacefully on this world, then we all have to take
our part in stopping prejudice and fear. The best place to start is with
ourselves. Get the facts,dispel the myths, and live in comfort.

Hope that helps. (And please whatever you do, don't copy what someone else has
said. Use your own words as that is the only way that true Human factor, the
one that was so clearly seen in your post, will come out)

Good luck, and spread the facts. Along with that eventually will come
understanding. It will be people such as you who will help stop the spread.

-Steve Karon
 SKaron@Eagle.wes.edu
or SKaron@Wesleyan.bitnet

If you want to talk personally please use E-Mail. (This offer is open to
everyone. I might be slow in responding, a couple days at the most,
 unfortunately)