[sci.med.aids] Family Prob.

skaron@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/23/89)

In article <28374@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, Jessie.Martin@p4.f606.n202.z1.fidonet.org (Jessie Martin) writes:
> I do agree that testing must be an individual choice, but in making the
> decision, I believe that we must take responsibility for every sexual partner
> that we have been with.

  I don't know your exact situation with your brother, but it seems to me that
your not giving your brother enough credit for being aware of what's around
him.

> I have debated, argued, cajoled and pleaded with my brother to be tested. He
> and his lover of 15 years had always patronized the Baths until the AIDS
> epidemic hit. They have friends that have AIDS/ARC, yet both refuse to be
> tested. Their solution is NO SEX!

  For alot of people this has become a very valid solution. Some people prefer
abstaining rather than getting tested for many reasons(and vica versa). I don't
see an immediate problem with his decision.

>  I live in constant fear of losing my brother out of his denial and refusal
>  to just be tested.

   What do you mean?  Yes there are things that can be done if you know your
positive. AZT has been known to help, but only in 50% of HIV positive people.
AZT also is very toxic and can lead to bone marrow deficiency.  He can of
course take preventative measures of contracting an opportunistic infection
which is very helpful, but this still doesn't completely explain your
statement. It is really confusing so I'll stop harboring on this point.

> I urge... everyone to not only help themselves,their loved ones,but our
> entire race by being tested!

  This letter somewhat disagrees with your first sentence. People who are in
doubt of there status should (really must) take responsible measures.
However getting tested is not the only responsible measure.

   I don't want to sound antitesting(but I know I did), but for some people
testing is not the best first step. Each person has to come with that decision
at the time when they are comfortable. To you I say don't let the testing issue
ruin whatever time you have with your brother. Enjoy your lives together
whether it is 1 day,1 yr.,5yrs, or 100 yrs. It is your love that your brother
probably wants the most.

Steve Karon
SKARON@eagle.wes.edu