[sci.med.aids] HICN239 News / Vaccine? More info please.

skaron@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/30/89)

In article <28603@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, dmcanzi@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) writes:

> A  researcher at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research says people who
> carry the AIDS virus but still are healthy may benefit  from  a  vaccine.  The
> vaccine  is  made from the coat of the virus.  Effects:  Caused some promising
> immune responses and no apparent ill effects.  Results could  lead  to  larger
> studies  of the vaccine made by MicroGeneSys Inc.,  Conn.  (From the USA TODAY
> Life section.)

  Is Vaccine the proper term?  What is exactly this "vaccine"? Is it along the
lines of AZT or is it actually supposed to stop you from getting HIV?? Any help
to clear up this confusion would be VERY appreciated. (And I believe the
appreciation would be more than just mine alone.)

  [Moderator note: I believe the MicroGeneSys vaccine is the protein GP 160,
   which metabolizes to proteins GP 120 and P 41.  This experimental vaccine
   has not been proven efficacious for prevention.  Some of its
   guinea pigs (me included) became HIV antibody positive, as a result of
   the GP 160 vaccine.  However, my antibody status has gone back to negative,
   as have others'.

   It is NOT like AZT.  All vaccines are intended to trigger a long-term
   immune response to an infectious agent.  Usually vaccines are used prior
   to infection, as a preventative.  You might be familiar with chicken pox,
   polio, smallpox, or flu vaccines.

   According to this article, however, the GP 160 vaccine can be used to
   heighten your body's natural immune response to HIV.  Whether this will
   confer benefits for HIV infected individuals remains to be seen.

   -- Dan Greening]

Steve Karon
SKaron@Eagle.wes.edu