[net.micro] BASICA

JFORREST@simtel20.arpa (Jim Forrest) (12/19/85)

I have had no luck running BASICA on any of several IBM compatibles I
have tried it o~rn, using PC-DOS 3.10. It just will not run.
Most of the compatibles I have tried have the phoenix rom. Does BASICA
check the ROM and bomb out due to it not being IBM, or is there a way
to get it to run?
Appreciate any advise.
Jim
-------

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (12/20/85)

In article <872@brl-tgr.ARPA> JFORREST@simtel20.arpa (Jim Forrest) writes:
>I have had no luck running BASICA on any of several IBM compatibles I
>have tried it on, using PC-DOS 3.10. It just will not run.
>Most of the compatibles I have tried have the phoenix rom. Does BASICA
>check the ROM and bomb out due to it not being IBM, or is there a way
>to get it to run?

BASICA makes calls into ROM BASIC (a separate entity from the ROM BIOS
Phoenix emulates) so it will not run an any clones.  An IBM-compatible
BASIC called GW BASIC is sold by Microsoft and by many clone-makers.
Typical discounted price is about $70.  Some compatibles, such as
Compaq, come with GWBASIC (often called "BASICA").

By the way, there are two theories on what GW stands for.  One is that
it means "Gates, William" (Bill Gates in the Big Cheese in Microsoft),
the other is that it stands for "Goshwow."
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

johnl@ima.UUCP (12/20/85)

/* Written  8:13 am  Dec 19, 1985 by JFORREST@brl-tgr in ima:net.micro */
> I have had no luck running BASICA on any of several IBM compatibles I
> have tried it on, using PC-DOS 3.10. It just will not run.
> Most of the compatibles I have tried have the phoenix rom. Does BASICA
> check the ROM and bomb out due to it not being IBM, or is there a way
> to get it to run?

The genuine IBM PC, XT, and AT have a Basic interpreter in ROM, which
the versions of Basic provided by IBM depend on.  None of the clones that
I've seen have Basic ROMs, so they all have different versions of Basic
which are entirely in RAM.  What this means is that, say, Compaq Basic will
work on an IBM but IBM Basic won't work on a Compaq.

John Levine, ima!johnl

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (12/20/85)

In article <872@brl-tgr.ARPA>, JFORREST@simtel20.arpa (Jim Forrest) writes:
> I have had no luck running BASICA on any of several IBM compatibles I
> have tried it o~rn, using PC-DOS 3.10. It just will not run.
> Most of the compatibles I have tried have the phoenix rom. Does BASICA
> check the ROM and bomb out due to it not being IBM, or is there a way
> to get it to run?
> Appreciate any advise.
> -------

  BASICA expects the presence of the cassette BASIC ROMs found in the IBM
PC's.  It uses several of the routines in the ROM, which is how it can be
such a short binary.  I know of no compatibles which have the BASIC ROM
in place, so BASICA will not work on them.  Try GW-BASIC instead (Microsoft's
own version of BASICA).

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren

rde@ukc.UUCP (R.D.Eager) (12/22/85)

I always thought the GW in GW-BASIC stood for GeeWhiz. Let's ask Microsoft..

Are you listening, Microsoft?
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) (12/23/85)

The story I heard on GW-BASIC said that "GW" stands for "Gee, whiz!"

--

                        John Miller  (ecsvax!phco)
                        Dept. of Pharmacology, Univ. of N.C.-Chapel Hill