[sci.med.aids] Elimination of AIDS from a patient.

JONESRA%AMBER.decnet@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (REX A. JONES 857-9563) (12/20/89)

I know that this is really recent news, but does anyone have any
information on the case that was announced about the elimination of AIDS
in a patient through a bone marrow transplant? While this is not going to
be a practical treatment for all sufferers, it does offer some more hope
that AIDS can be beaten.

(yes, I do know that the patient did die of the cancer that he contracted
from his case of AIDS)

Thanks.
--------------
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
                         --Salvor Hardin
--------------
jonesra@silver.bacs.indiana.edu            |One of these sigs should work.
JONESRA%AQUA.decnet@silver.bacs.indiana.edu|This is not an official IU
jonesra@iuqua.bitnet                       |document. This posting does
jonesra@aqua.bacs.indiana.edu              |not reflect the views of IU

bob@ozdaltx.UUCP (bob) (12/21/89)

In article <30142@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, JONESRA%AMBER.decnet@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (REX A. > I know that this is really recent news, but does anyone have any
> I know that this is really recent news, but does anyone have any
> information on the case that was announced about the elimination of AIDS
> in a patient through a bone marrow transplant? While this is not going to
> be a practical treatment for all sufferers, it does offer some more hope
> that AIDS can be beaten.

I read that the patient had lymphoma (cancer of lymph glands) and
that as part of the treatment they killed off his bone marrow (where
the new immune system cells come from) with chemotherapy and/or radiation.
Then using max doses of AZT to keep HIV replication in check for those
cells that might have escaped the bone marrow he was then given the
transplant.  Yes you read correctly that the patient ended up dying
of cancer (I think 40 days later) but that extensive autopsy test
results found no HIV in the tissues of brain, bone marrow, etc.

The problem is that bone marrow destruction and transplant is risky
for non-AIDS patients, and I think it said something like a 25%
survival rate.  Obviously not the treatament for early diagnoses.

That's about all I remember from the newspaper.

Yes, there is hope (even small) in this just like the vaccine for SIV
in monkeys.  But it still looks like a long battle.  So much gets
reported so hopefully, then no more news.  For example, 2 years ago
the AIDS Treatment News reported promising results from a Paris study of
DHEA.  Nothing since then.  It seems to always be like this.

I try to stay hopeful (with or without news) and just take it
all a day at a time, looking for the best in each day. I know
that may sound trite, but it is the only way I can avoid getting
down when I think about how long this might last.

    Bob Culmer
    Dallas, TX

malloy@crash.cts.com (Sean Malloy) (12/21/89)

In article <30142@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> JONESRA%AMBER.decnet@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (REX A. JONES 857-9563) writes:
>I know that this is really recent news, but does anyone have any
>information on the case that was announced about the elimination of AIDS
>in a patient through a bone marrow transplant? While this is not going to
>be a practical treatment for all sufferers, it does offer some more hope
>that AIDS can be beaten.

It was not just a bone marrow transplant; it was the full leukemia
treatment: a heavy regimen of chemotherapy and radiation treatments to kill
all of the patient's own bone marrow, followed by a marrow transplant, and
treatment with AZafterward.

The patient had no signs of HIV-1 in his blood or organs 30 days after the
treatment; he died shortly thereafter from cancer.

The full procedure in and of itself has about a 25% mortality rate; this is
making researchers reluctant to solicit volunteers from AIDS-infected
people who are still healthy.

	Sean Malloy {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, ucsd, nosc}!crash!malloy
		ARPA: crash!malloy@nosc
	Navy Personnel Research and Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
		UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, ucsd}!nprdc!malloy
		ARPA: malloy@nprdc.navy.mil

hughM@crdgw1.ge.com (Hugh M Moore) (12/24/89)

In article <30182@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> malloy@crash.cts.com (Sean Malloy) writes:
| The patient had no signs of HIV-1 in his blood or organs 30 days after the
| treatment; he died shortly thereafter from cancer.

Did the patient have cancer as well as AIDS or did the treatment cause
cancer? I suspect that your odds of beating cancer are better than
beating AIDS right now.
--
Hugh Moore ...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!hughM [ PhD in '93 ]

"A joke isn't funny unless it offends SOMEONE"