[sci.med.aids] SULLIVAN AND DDI

Jerry.Howard@f269.n107.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Howard) (03/16/90)

Did you catch Sec. HEW Sullivan this morning og Brinkly, when asked about the 7
deaths supposedly attributed to DDI, he said, (I am paraphrasing) "that's the
price we have to pay for allowing drugs out on the market with only minimal
testing"

When asked does he intend to do anything about it, he responded:

"nope"

Bravo!

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!107!269!Jerry.Howard
Internet: Jerry.Howard@f269.n107.z1.fidonet.org

rwright@gatech.edu (Ronald K. Wright) (03/18/90)

Jerry.Howard@f269.n107.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Howard) writes:

>Did you catch Sec. HEW Sullivan this morning og Brinkly, when asked about the
>7 deaths supposedly attributed to DDI, he said, (I am paraphrasing) "that's
>the price we have to pay for allowing drugs out on the market with only
>minimal testing"
>When asked does he intend to do anything about it, he responded:
>"nope"
>Bravo!

I think there are going to be a lot more than 7 deaths.  Indeed I know
there are.  I autopsied a young man last Thursday who had little
problem with aids..(He had been incorrectly diagnosed as having MAI)
and who was taking DDI.  He died of pancreatitis as severe as I have
ever seen.

Although Dr. Sullivan's position may be laudable in regards to drug
testing in person's with aids, I find it rather disheartening to do
autopsies on persons who appear to be killed by the treatment.  (Not
that it is not unfortunately uncommon (three negatives ...a record
even for mush-speak)) ;->

--
R. K. Wright MD JD                     | office: uunet!medex2!medexam!rkw
Chief Medical Examiner, Broward County | nova:   novavax!rwright