[sci.med.aids] AIDS and Drugs

dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) (04/13/90)

dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>mel@iies.ecn.purdue.edu (Meloney D Cregor) writes:

>>Any person on allergy drugs would have a greater chance of contracting
>>AIDS if they were exposed to the HIV virus.
>
>Oh, yeah?  Cite your references.  Balderdash.

Sorry Steve.  Circumstantial evidence suggests it is true.  Many allergy
medications do down your T-cell response.  Beconase, for example, is supremely
effective at this, which is why you are supposed to stop taking it if you
get a cold.  It is great stuff, but I've also noticed that I'm more
susceptible to infections when I'm on it.

I have been told on occasion to stop taking ANY allergy medications
except Nasalcrom before getting blood-work at NIH.  Why?  Because
anti-histamines and steroids knock down the T-cell response to gp160,
one of the proteins on the HIV-coat.  Why do I know this?  Because it
happened to me.  I don't think this material is published, though.
I can ask.  Do you really want a reference?

Nasalcrom seems to be OK because it only inhibits mast cell production.

Dan Greening       | NY 914-784-7861 | 12 Foster Court
dgreen@cs.ucla.edu | CA 213-825-2266 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520

dyer@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (04/14/90)

In article <34172@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dgreen@squid () writes:
>Sorry Steve.  Circumstantial evidence suggests it is true.  Many allergy
>medications do down your T-cell response.  Beconase, for example, is supremely
>effective at this, which is why you are supposed to stop taking it if you
>get a cold.  It is great stuff, but I've also noticed that I'm more
>susceptible to infections when I'm on it.

Beconase is a corticosteroid, not an antihistamine.  I am not challenging
its effects on the immune system.

>I have been told on occasion to stop taking ANY allergy medications
>except Nasalcrom before getting blood-work at NIH.  Why?  Because
>anti-histamines and steroids knock down the T-cell response to gp160,
>one of the proteins on the HIV-coat.  Why do I know this?  Because it
>happened to me.  I don't think this material is published, though.
>I can ask.  Do you really want a reference?

There is a difference between attempting to control a population in a research
group on antibody development to HIV proteins and making a claim that
antihistamines increase your susceptibility to the AIDS virus.
I would appreciate a reference if you can get one.

>Nasalcrom seems to be OK because it only inhibits mast cell production.

Well, that's not quite what it does.  It inhibits the antigen-mediated
release of autacoids such as histamine from mast cells.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

dgreen@cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) (04/14/90)

Steve Dyer writes:
>Dan Greening writes:

>>Many allergy medications do down your T-cell response.  Beconase, for
>>example, is supremely effective at this.

>Beconase is a corticosteroid, not an antihistamine.  I am not challenging
>its effects on the immune system.

Beconase is also an allergy medication, which was the original topic that
you challenged.  If you were referring solely to antihistamines, you should
have said so.

>There is a difference between attempting to control a population in a research
>group on antibody development to HIV proteins and making a claim that
>antihistamines increase your susceptibility to the AIDS virus.
>I would appreciate a reference if you can get one.

OK, the reference will take work and time to get.  Someone is investigating.
(You now owe me one.)  Here is the jist from a conversation with an NIH
research staff member, who is likely to know.

There is no evidence that antihistamines down the immune system's response
to the HIV virus.  However, there is evidence that antihistamines alter
immune system function.  Specifically, some T cells have antihistamine
receptors.

Based on that, and a drop in my T-cell response to gp160, I was asked to
stop taking both corticosteroids and antihistamines.

I expect to get the reference(s) on Tuesday, and they will be posted then.
Hope that helps.

--

In article <34196@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dgreen@cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) writes:
>>Beconase is a corticosteroid, not an antihistamine.  I am not challenging
>>its effects on the immune system.
>Beconase is also an allergy medication, which was the original topic that
>you challenged.  If you were referring solely to antihistamines, you should
>have said so.

Well, you now understand my intent--I'm referring to the claim about
antihistamines.  In this case, it was a matter of ignoring the obvious,
but it could have been clearer.

>Here is the jist from a conversation with an NIH
>research staff member, who is likely to know.
>
>There is no evidence that antihistamines down the immune system's response
>to the HIV virus.  However, there is evidence that antihistamines alter
>immune system function.  Specifically, some T cells have antihistamine
>receptors.

I am sure that he meant "histamine receptors".  That's no surprise at all.
(It would be surprising if there weren't.)  However, let me reemphasize
the point lest someone come away from this misinformed;

It is important to exclude undue external influences on experimental
subjects which might affect the results of a HIV vaccine research
program, which is what Dan is participating in.  This decision on the
investigators' part does not address at all the clinical implications
of any effects of antihistamines on immune system function (cell
mediated immunity, excluding acute histamine-mediated reactions such as
are seen in allergies.) If there are, it would almost certainly be a
secondary phenomenon, since there have been billions of doses of
antihistamines dispensed over the past 45 years.  To echo the NIH
researcher: there is no evidence that antihistamines have any effect
whatsoever on the body's immune response to the HIV virus.  Which is not
to say that there might not be some effect uncovered in the future.
But to claim so now is unfounded and simple fearmongering.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

dyer@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (04/14/90)

In article <34196@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dgreen@cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) writes:
>>Beconase is a corticosteroid, not an antihistamine.  I am not challenging
>>its effects on the immune system.
>Beconase is also an allergy medication, which was the original topic that
>you challenged.  If you were referring solely to antihistamines, you should
>have said so.

I thought I'd give an analogy for why I didn't elaborate on my objection.

If someone said "corticosteroids and jello increase one's susceptibility
to AIDS", it would not be too incomprehensible that someone knowledgable
might say "That's nonsense" without going into the details.  S/he would
have realized that corticosteroids are well known to affect the immune system
and that jello is not quite so notorious.  This might not be so clear
to a layperson.