[sci.med.aids] Can you get AIDS from kissing?

shink@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Holeman) (04/07/90)

In article <33973@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dasys1!paladin@cmcl2.nyu.edu (John Lee) writes:

>I think the subject title says it all.  Can you get HIV from kissing?
>Can you get it from saliva?  I know that HIV has been found in saliva,
>but I've also heard that saliva acts to neutralize the virus and that
>there have been no known cases of AIDS being transmitted via kissing.

As you just said, there have been no known cases of HIV transmission
via kissing.  Unless both of you are oozing blood in both of your
mouths, I wouldn't worry.

>Also, how accurate are tests for HIV antibodies?

Don't bet your life on one.  Use condoms.  Don't share needles.

>Looking for safety in a time of plague,

Epidemic, thank you.

JAHAYES@miamiu.bitnet (04/10/90)

In article <33973@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, dasys1!paladin@cmcl2.nyu.edu (John Lee)
says:

>I think the subject title says it all.  Can you get HIV from kissing?
>Can you get it from saliva?  I know that HIV has been found in saliva,
>but I've also heard that saliva acts to neutralize the virus and that
>there have been no known cases of AIDS being transmitted via kissing.
>
>Also, how accurate are tests for HIV antibodies?

Well, you said it.  There are no known cases of transmission via
kissing.  I suppose, given the enormous number of potential cases
where that MIGHT have happened but hasn't, that indicates that such
transmission is EXTREMELY unlikely.  Not impossible, I suppose, but
from what we know about the structure of this particular virus, it's
damned unlikely.  It is probably MORE likely, however, if you have
open sores (uck!) in or around your mouth and so does your partner;
in that way you could have blood-to-blood transfer....but it strikes
me as pretty unlikely.

The tests themselves are pretty good; it's whether or not they are
performed well that counts.  I would recommend getting at least two
tests done very close together; if they're both negative, don't sweat
it.  If they differ, get another.  Ask around; there may be a testing
service with a reputation for accuracy in your area.

>--John

-------
Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900

         miamiu.bitnet (good)
        /
jahayes@-miamiu.acs.muohio.edu (also good)
         miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (not so good)

JAHAYES@miamiu.bitnet (06/02/90)

Note:	Copyright 1990 by Daniel R. Greening.  Permission granted for
Note:	non-commercial reproduction.
Archive-number: 1953

-------
Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900

         miamiu.bitnet (good)
        /
jahayes@-miamiu.acs.muohio.edu (also good)
         miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (not so good)

rrizzo@BBN.COM (Ron Rizzo) (06/06/90)

Gingevitis is pretty common as people get older.  And some people
have gums that are easily infected or inflammed.  So bleeding gums
is a common occurrence.  Blood in the mouth isn't rare at all.
How effective a vector are these for HIV transmission?

Regards,
Ron

CORCORAN%MAINE.BITNET@YALE.EDU (John Corcoran) (06/07/90)

The studies I've seen on transmission of HIV indicate that not only is
*contact* with HIV infected body fluid necessary, but there must be
a certain *concentration* of HIV in that body fluid.  For example,
HIV has been detected in tears, urine, saliva, etc., as well as in
blood and semen, but transmission via the first three is unlikely
because the concentration of HIV in those fluids is so slight.

Researchers for Health and Welfare Canada went even further to dispute
the effectiveness of transmission through the mouth at all.  HIV is
easily killed by digestive acids, and baring great open wounds in the
mouth, transmission was unlikely.  This led several organizations to
place oral sex without a condom (insertive or receptive) on the 'minimal
risk' category. But this is controversial.  US studies have identified
10 cases of HIV infection attributed to oral sex only.  While this is
largely guesswork, so is the HW-C study.  I think it's better to err on
the cautious side.

I think the only way that kissing (deep or whatever) would be a likely
vector for transmission is if *both* participants have significant
bleeding wounds in their mouths.  Traces aren't, from what I've read,
going to do it.

--J.

Corcoran@Portland/Corcoran@maine are:  John Corcoran    ============
      (.bitnet or .maine.edu)          Phil Dept./Core  ==        ==
"And now, what will become of us       U. So. Maine     ===      ===
 without any barbarians? Those people  Portland, ME     ====    ====
 were a kind of solution."             04103            =====  =====
                    --C.P. Cavafy      207-780-4226     ============