[sci.med.aids] wonder drug?

green%island.uu.net@uunet.UU.NET (Robert Greenstein) (07/12/90)

Does anyone have any information about a drug currently undergoing clinical
trials in Arizona called dpc? This may also be known as immunothiol and
is manufactured by Eli Lilly in France. It has supposedly been producing
"spectacular" results. It also may be available for compassionate use.

Richard.DeWald@f70.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Richard DeWald) (07/16/90)

In an article of <11 Jul 90 18:20:25 GMT>,
island!green%island.uu.net@uunet.UU.NET (Robert Greenstein) writes:

 RG>Does anyone have any information about a drug currently undergoing
 RG>clinical
 RG>trials in Arizona called dpc? This may also be known as immunothiol and
 RG>is manufactured by Eli Lilly in France. It has supposedly been
 RG>producing
 RG>"spectacular" results. It also may be available for compassionate use.

Imuthiol (Diethyldithiocarbamate) is an immunomodulator.  It is being tested
alone and in combination with Retrovir (Zidovudine; AZT).  I have it listed as
being tested by the Merieux Institute of Miami Florida.  As of my latest
information it is in Phase III testing.

Immunomodulators generally are drugs that alter the immune response by either
augmenting or reducing the ability of the immune system to produce specific
antibodies or sensitized cell that react with the antigen that initiated their
reaction.  This is fooling with mother nature and is very dangerous.  Of
course, dangerous therapies are perfectly appropriate with AIDS.

Phase III is the "extensive clinical trial" phase of drug development.  This
means that large studies are going on with volunteer patients.  The drug is
being administered by practicing physicians to those suffering from AIDS.  It
is also being tested in pediatric patients.  It is being tested with severe
late-stage PWA's and with early (what we used to call ARC patients).  Phase III
usually lasts a couple of years.

That's all I have.  Hope it helps.

Richard DeWald, BSN Student
Univ. of TX - Austin.

SEEN-BY:

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!382!70!Richard.DeWald
Internet: Richard.DeWald@f70.n382.z1.fidonet.org