[sci.med.aids] INfo

Richard.DeWald@f70.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Richard DeWald) (07/30/90)

In a message of <25 Jul 90 10:29:00>, Tl (1:120/139) writes:

 TD>I have a question being a new user of this BBS....I am wondering if you
 TD>have any information this aspect of AIDS.......What is the longest time
 TD>frame you are aware of that a person who is HIV+ stays "healthy"
 TD>without converting to AIDS and experencing (I nevery could spell) the
 TD>typical serices of illnesses?

That is a very interesting question.  We won't know the answer definitively
for a good while.  I assume that you believed that you had either been exposed
to the virus and/or were in a risk group and got yourself tested.  What about
the person that was contaminated with a blood product, for example, and has
completely forgotten (or never knew) that they were at risk?  If they feel as
good as you do, they don't even yet know that they have been infected.

That's why I encourage all of my friends who aren't in risks groups to go
donate a unit of whole blood.  Not only do we need the blood, but you get an
automatic HIV-antibody screen and you can be relatively certain that you
aren't unknowingly communicable if you don't hear from the blood bank.

 TD>I am + learning about this in January 2.5 yrs ago and believe I likely
 TD>was + since 1983.  I am healthy and have had NO significant periods of
 TD>any illness in that time.......I think the most difficult aspect of of
 TD>being + relates to the psychological dealing with this......I would be
 TD>interested in talking to others about this who share this situation.

I don't share your situation, I am a health care provider (nursing student).
The psychological side is very important, I believe.  As we learn more about
psychoimmunology, we will know for sure exactly to what extent attitude plays
a part.  Providing nursing care for PWA's gives you some insight on this, but
I have to be careful of post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this therefore
because of this) reasoning, so I can't say for sure.  I am willing to bet that
psychological health is a big factor, but I don't want to cross over into
blaming the victim for the disease.  I have seen PWA's with the most inspiring
attitudes die suddenly.

"Be as healthy as possible" is good advice fo everyone.

Richard DeWald, BSN Student
Univ. of TX - Austin.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!382!70!Richard.DeWald
Internet: Richard.DeWald@f70.n382.z1.fidonet.org

marco@ozdaltx.UUCP (Steve Giammarco) (07/31/90)

> In a message of <25 Jul 90 10:29:00>, Tl (1:120/139) writes:
>
>  TD>I have a question being a new user of this BBS....I am wondering if you
>  TD>have any information this aspect of AIDS.......What is the longest time
>  TD>frame you are aware of that a person who is HIV+ stays "healthy"
>  TD>without converting to AIDS and experencing (I nevery could spell) the
>  TD>typical serices of illnesses?
>
>  TD>I am + learning about this in January 2.5 yrs ago and believe I likely
>  TD>was + since 1983.  I am healthy and have had NO significant periods of
>  TD>any illness in that time.......I think the most difficult aspect of of
>  TD>being + relates to the psychological dealing with this......I would be

Longest time frame of HIV+ persons presenting no symptoms is about 11 years.
This coincides with the "start" of AIDS when it was known as "GRID" (Gay
Related Immunodeficiency Disease).  FYI:  About 50% of all HIV+s remain
healthy in long-term follow-ups during clinical studies in the 11 year
period.  The other 50% range from minor symptoms to death.

If a person is "predisposed" to becoming ill (i.e., not in the healthy 50%
of HIV+s) the first symptoms occur between 3 and 8 years after initial
infection with a median of 5.5 years. Without intervention, the average
length of time between AIDS diagnosis and death is about 2 to 3 years.
_WITH_ intervention time is dependent on how soon one finds out their
serostatus, has T-cells and other diagnostics done, and is put on
appropriate Rx at the optimum time.  It has been suggested that a
person receiving early intervention will live a normal lifetime with
a chronic disease. (like an epileptic, or, diabetic)

Have you had a T4/T8 workup done yet?  Even more important: Have you
found a physician that has experience in the management of HIV that
you feel comfortable with?

Steve Giammarco        5330 Peterson Ln #1211 Dallas TX 75240      214.788.0976
AIDS Resource Center   4012 Cedar Springs Rd  Dallas TX 75219      214.521.5124
{mic,void,egsner}!ozdaltx!marco