[sci.med.aids] AIDS/ARC MESSAGE AREA

Karin.Lee@f165.n103.z1.fidonet.org (Karin Lee) (07/31/90)

In a message to Scotbear <07-27-90 18:37> Sid Moormeister wrote:

SM> I agree!  I have a sense that the feeling that AIDS is a
SM> "gay disease" is slowly vanishing--at least I hope it is.
SM> Perceptions have got to change.  You may be interested to
SM> know that to this day my mother cannot say the word
SM> "AIDS"--it is just too scary for her.  It always amazes me
SM> when I think of the power with which we invest words.  On a
SM> personal level, I feel empowered when I can call something
SM> by its real name and face whatever it is.  Hope all goes
SM> well with you!  SID

I wish I could agree with you, but I'm afraid I can't. If you get into the
Adult echoes, which deal with swingers and what-not, you will find an
overwhelming sense of "well, yeah but we aren't gay". In our MatchMaker
questionaire, I designed a question to find what people's attitude toward
"safe sex" is, asking more or less under what circumstances safe sex would be
required. Unfortunately, "Only for gay activities" is currently the answer
which is chosen most often. I do everything that I can, and every time
ignorance raises it's ugly little head I attempt to correct it. I have to say,
though, that people don't want to hear the facts - they would rather consider
themselves to be immune.

love and huggs
karin!

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!103!165!Karin.Lee
Internet: Karin.Lee@f165.n103.z1.fidonet.org