[sci.med.aids] HIV vs AIDS question

Mark_D.Winton@f8.n289.z1.fidonet.org (Mark_D Winton) (08/07/90)

I have been reading a lot of mail about AIDS/ARC, HIV, etc...
It seems that it is probably time to get some better understanding of the
disease process. There is still too much stigma involved, especially in my
small rural area.

From all the conferences and literature it seems that virtually 100% of those
infected with HIV1 will eventually develop the end stage of the disease, or
AIDS. The incubation period is over 9 years, so this may lead to some of the
confusion, but it seems well known now.

I teach my students, nurses, physicians about a spectrum of illness, and liken
the virus to infection with a Herpes virus, like chickenpox...once the virus
is in your system, it is there for good. It does no good to discriminate
against AIDS syndrome, or to worry about the source of acquisition at that
point.

I'm hoping to get a feel as to why folks will seperate the two terms as if
they are mutually exclusive, and HIV does not have the same stigma as AIDS????

SEEN-BY:

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!289!8!Mark_D.Winton
Internet: Mark_D.Winton@f8.n289.z1.fidonet.org

jfh@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jack Hamilton) (08/08/90)

In article <37804@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> Mark_D.Winton@f8.n289.z1.fidonet.org
(Mark_D Winton) writes:
>From all the conferences and literature it seems that virtually 100% of those
>infected with HIV1 will eventually develop the end stage of the disease, or
>AIDS. The incubation period is over 9 years, so this may lead to some of the
>confusion, but it seems well known now.

That has not been my impression, although I'm not sure what the percentage
is.

>I teach my students, nurses, physicians about a spectrum of illness, and liken
>the virus to infection with a Herpes virus, like chickenpox...once the virus
>is in your system, it is there for good. It does no good to discriminate
>against AIDS syndrome, or to worry about the source of acquisition at that
>point.

Well, once the virus has incorporated itself into your cells, it's probably
there for good, but there is some speculation that a few people have shaken
off the virus itself.

>I'm hoping to get a feel as to why folks will seperate the two terms as if
>they are mutually exclusive, and HIV does not have the same stigma as AIDS????

As you said, there is a spectrum of illness.  AIDS is at one end of the
spectrum.  If you don't have a specific set of symptoms, you don't have
AIDS, by definition.  I think it's an important distinction.  Think of the
difference between having the bacteria which cause meningitis in your throat
(which a fair number of people do), and having meningitis.  You would take
different actions in each case.

Why doesn't HIV have the same stigma?  I don't know.  Perhaps when the
general public becomes as familiar with the term "HIV" as it is with
"AIDS", there will be an equal amount of prejudice and discrimination.
--
-------------
Jack Hamilton

marco@ozdaltx.UUCP (Steve Giammarco) (08/09/90)

In article <37804@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, Mark_D.Winton@f8.n289.z1.fidonet.org (Mark_D Winton) writes:
> I have been reading a lot of mail about AIDS/ARC, HIV, etc...
> It seems that it is probably time to get some better understanding of the
> disease process. There is still too much stigma involved, especially in my
> small rural area.
>
> From all the conferences and literature it seems that virtually 100% of those
> infected with HIV1 will eventually develop the end stage of the disease, or
> AIDS. The incubation period is over 9 years, so this may lead to some of the
oid from ozdaltx   id: <00005567-900708133108-219@void.lonestar.org>
To: void!texbell!ually-studied HIV+s in an eleven
year span have gone on to develop other symptoms/sequelae from minor
infections to death.  The other 50% appear healthy, asymptomatic, and
relatively free of immunocompromise.  Again, the incubation period is

> I'm hoping to get a feel as to why folks will seperate the two terms as if
> they are mutually exclusive, and HIV does not have the same stigma as AIDS????

I hope the above will do.  JAIDS (Journal of Aquired Immune Deficiency
Syndrome) back-issues may help, if you are skeptical of the data.

Steve Giammarco        5330 Peterson Ln #1211 Dallas TX 75240      214.788.0976
AIDS Resource Center   4012 Cedar Springs Rd  Dallas TX 75219      214.521.5124
{mic,void,egsner}!ozdaltx!marco