[sci.med.aids] Aids from mosquitoes

lewis@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (S. Thomas Lewis) (08/02/90)

I have earlier been convinced that aids is not transmitted by mosquitoes.
However, it there any conclusive information?

bob@ozdaltx.UUCP (Bob Culmer) (08/03/90)

In article <37596@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, lewis@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (S. Thomas Lewis) writes:
> I have earlier been convinced that aids is not transmitted by mosquitoes.
> However, it there any conclusive information?

Yes.  An attempt to culture HIV in mosquito blood cells failed.  As
you may know a culture is more favorable than "real life" situations.
In other words, things multiply in cultures where they wouldn't be as
successful elsewhere.  Hence, failure of HIV to culture in mosquitos
would be IMO about as conclusive as scientific knowledge gets.

--
Bob Culmer - Dallas        | "Hearts will never be practical until
Somewhere over the rainbow |  they can be made unbreakable." - Wizard

jfh@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jack Hamilton) (08/04/90)

In article <37661@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> bob@ozdaltx.UUCP (Bob Culmer) writes:
>Yes.  An attempt to culture HIV in mosquito blood cells failed.  As
>you may know a culture is more favorable than "real life" situations.
>In other words, things multiply in cultures where they wouldn't be as
>successful elsewhere.  Hence, failure of HIV to culture in mosquitos
>would be IMO about as conclusive as scientific knowledge gets.

I believe I've read that syphillis, for example, is extremely difficult to
culture, even though it grows easily enough in actual humans.  HIV could
behave the same way.
--
-------------
Jack Hamilton

drw@HERMITE.MIT.EDU (Dale R. Worley) (08/06/90)

In article <37596@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> lewis@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (S. Thomas Lewis) writes:
   I have earlier been convinced that aids is not transmitted by mosquitoes.
   However, it there any conclusive information?

I believe that much of the evidence that HIV is not transmitted by
mosquitoes is epidemiological -- there is no correlation between AIDS
incidence and mosquito exposure.  For instance, in African areas where
AIDS and malaria are both endemic, children between ages 3 and 15
don't develop AIDS, even though they are at high risk for malaria.

Dale	drw@math.mit.edu

michaelm@vax.DSD.3Com.COM (Michael McNeil) (08/07/90)

claris!netcom!jfh@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jack Hamilton) writes:

>In article <37661@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> bob@ozdaltx.UUCP (Bob Culmer) writes:
>>Yes.  An attempt to culture HIV in mosquito blood cells failed.  As
>>you may know a culture is more favorable than "real life" situations.
>>In other words, things multiply in cultures where they wouldn't be as
>>successful elsewhere.  Hence, failure of HIV to culture in mosquitos
>>would be IMO about as conclusive as scientific knowledge gets.
>
>I believe I've read that syphillis, for example, is extremely difficult to
>culture, even though it grows easily enough in actual humans.  HIV could
>behave the same way.

Except that it doesn't.  (There are *no known* cases.)

--
Michael McNeil			michaelm@vax.DSD.3Com.COM (3comvax.UUCP)
3Com Corporation		ucbvax!hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

	There are two futures, the future of desire and the future of
	fate, and man's reason has never learnt to separate them.
		J. Desmond Bernal, *The World, the Flesh and the
		Devil: An Enquiry into the Three Enemies of the
		Rational Soul*, 1929

bob@ozdaltx.UUCP (Bob Culmer) (08/09/90)

In article <37705@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, claris!netcom!jfh@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jack Hamilton) writes:

> I believe I've read that syphillis, for example, is extremely difficult to
> culture, even though it grows easily enough in actual humans.  HIV could
> behave the same way.

HIV does culture, but not in the mosquito tissue.  And that adds to the
already very persuasive epidemiological evidence (see previous posts
about children in Africa).