[sci.med.aids] Blood donation procedures

JOSH@IBM.COM (Josh Knight) (08/24/90)

 In archive-number 2406, "Robert M. Hamer" <HAMER@Ruby.VCU.EDU> writes:

>                    ...  The last time I donated, perhaps a month or so ago,
> the phlebomist checked my arms for tracks, too.  I asked her if she'd
> ever seen needle tracks, and she said she'd not.  I haven't, either, and
> wonder how effective someone who has never seen tracks would be at
> recognizing such signs of IV drug use.  I also note that she didn't
> check the many other places I hear that IV drug users also inject, such
> as behind the knees.(?)

I'm not a phlebomist (but I will look the word up :-), and I'm not
familiar with IV drug users' arms.  However, many years ago a
particularly inept technician had to try 3 or 4 times to draw about
10-20cc's of blood.  The multiple attempts and the final semi-successful
penetration left marks that were visible for weeks.  I can't imagine
that someone anxious to fry their brain with their latest acquisition
from the street will be particularly adept at using the needle.  Also,
I believe that the reason IV drug users inject behind their knees (or
other obscure places) is because they have rendered the more accessible
veins unusable for injection.  I can't imagine that this sort of damage
wouldn't at least look unusual, not to mention how difficult (if not
impossible) it would be to get a donation from such damaged veins.
As I said, this is all things I've heard; I'm hardly an authoritative
source on this topic.

A couple of things occurred to me since my previous posting.  The forms
say that if you test positive for HIV you will be put on a list of
people that are not allowed to give blood.  Not very anonymous that.
Also they don't say to whom the information that you marked your blood
for laboratory use only (i.e. not for transfusion) might be given.
However, I think they're trying...

Josh Knight
josh@ibm.com

pepke@SCRI1.SCRI.FSU.EDU (Eric Pepke) (08/25/90)

In article <38328@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> JOSH@IBM.COM (Josh Knight) writes:
> I believe that the reason IV drug users inject behind their knees (or
> other obscure places) is because they have rendered the more accessible
> veins unusable for injection.

It's mostly done so that people cannot see the tracks.  Another
popular place to mainline is under the tongue.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.