[sci.med.aids] Encephalitis

The.Bird@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org (The "Bird") (09/22/90)

We have been told that there is a serious encephalitis outbreak spread by
mosquitos in Florida. The local news here in Miami has been reporting it's
migration south from northern Fl.

It's impossible to protect yourself from mosquito bites here. Is there
anything, especially as a PWA, that can be done for protection? Are PWA's in
any great danger? What are the symptoms of the disease?

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!135!38!The."Bird"
Internet: The."Bird"@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org

rbraun@spdcc.com (Rich Braun) (09/23/90)

Massachusetts just had an outbreak of mosquito-borne encephalitis, which
killed a number of horses and caused two serious non-fatal human infections.

The state Department of Public Health can be reached at 617-727-2700, and
the disease control number is 617-522-3700.  The DPH runs a seasonal
testing program which captures mosquitos in several locations daily and tests
them for the equine encephalitis virus.  In the event enough of them test
positive, an alert is put out.

This alert led to a hotly-debated aerial spraying program about two weeks
ago, which killed off most of the mosquitos but also killed hundreds of
thousands of fish and aggravated farmers who were concerned about the
market for potentially-contaminated crops.

The disease is fatal in something like 1/3 of cases.  I do not know its
interaction with AIDS.  The publicity over this *should* demonstrate that
researchers know what they're talking about when they say HIV isn't
transmitted by mosquitos, but more likely it just adds to public hysteria
over the threat of insect-carried disease (witness the TV ads talking
about the dread Lyme disease--argh).

-rich

rkw@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dr. R.K. Wright) (09/23/90)

In <39213@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> The.Bird@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org (The "Bird") writes:

>We have been told that there is a serious encephalitis outbreak spread by
>mosquitos in Florida. The local news here in Miami has been reporting it's
>migration south from northern Fl.
the epidemic is St. Louis Encephalitis (SLE)

>It's impossible to protect yourself from mosquito bites here. Is there
That is not absolutely true.  the Culex spp. that carry SLE are active
only around dusk and dawn.  Avoid being outside then.
>anything, especially as a PWA, that can be done for protection? Are PWA's in
>any great danger?
SLE is pretty rare so certain answers seem impossible, but based upon
everything which I have seen, HIV infection does not make SLE
different.  Also the death rate is a lot less than reported as lots of
people have the sense not to go to the doctor with flu like symptoms.

>What are the symptoms of the disease?
Intense headaches, projectile vomiting, severe malaise lasting up to
several weeks.  I got mine during a non-epidemic period in December of
1985.  My wife alwasys thought the exorcist vomiting scene was made
up.

>--
>Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!135!38!The."Bird"
>Internet: The."Bird"@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org
--

R.K. Wright MD                                                uunet!medex2!rkw
Chief Medical Examiner                                   rkw@medexam.ftl.fl.us