[sci.med.aids] I CONFESS MY IGNORANCE...

Holly.12@f718.n202.z1.fidonet.org (Holly 12) (09/24/90)

I have been told by a friend that his physician said:

Most gays who have contracted AIDS were on the receiving side of anal
intercourse; it is next to impossible to get AIDS from oral sex unless actual
ejaculation takes place; rimming is not risky as far as contracting AIDS.

Is there any truth to that?

Also, this same friend told me that the HIV virus (is that redundant... does
the V stand for virus?) generally shows up within 8 to 16 weeks after
exposure.

Is there any truth to that?

And, when discussing the idea that was being circulated somewhile back that
you could have the virus in your body from sexual contact within the past 12
years, this friend told me that this idea was based upon frozen blood
belonging to some famous gay doctor in which the HIV virus had continued to
live for some 12 years while frozen; in other words, it was a theory based
upon an irrelevant fact.

What is the real scoop on that?

Another friend was told that had she been infected prior to her pregnancy that
the HIV virus would have accelerated its growth and become evident within the
first trimester.

Any truth to that?

I think perhaps the largest cause of fear with respect to the general public
and AIDS is that we have been given so much information which has changed or
seems to contradict other information.  The other big part of that fear
though, I am quite certain, has to do with people having to face the reality
of their own mortality.  My husband died of cancer and it was amazing to see
how difficult his disease was for people to deal with even without it being
communicable.  Mortality is a scarey thing for most folks!

Thanks for any light you can shed on the topic of AIDS.

                                Holly

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!202!718!Holly.12
Internet: Holly.12@f718.n202.z1.fidonet.org

bob@ozdaltx.UUCP (Bob Culmer) (09/26/90)

In article <39245@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, Holly.12@f718.n202.z1.fidonet.org (Holly 12) writes:
> Most gays who have contracted AIDS were on the receiving side of anal
> intercourse; it is next to impossible to get AIDS from oral sex unless actual
> ejaculation takes place; rimming is not risky as far as contracting AIDS.
>
> Is there any truth to that?

As far as I know from the readings I've done, the first statement is
false.  Receptive and "active" partners in anal intercourse both
have contracted the disease.  There was a study in San Francisco
early in the epidemic that tracked people who were exclusively
receptive partners and those who were exclusively "active" or as the
slang terms are "bottom" and "top".  There was no indication that
being exclusively top significantly reduced risk.  I have a friend who
was exclusively top, and he is ill.  The other two activities have
theoretical possibility of transmission, but seem to be hard to get
definite stats on transmission. They are generally listed as unsafe or
risky if performed without condoms or dental dams (as appropriate).

> Also, this same friend told me that HIV virus generally shows up
> within 8 to 16 weeks after exposure.
>
> Is there any truth to that?

Yes.

> And, when discussing the idea that was being circulated somewhile back that
> you could have the virus in your body from sexual contact within the past 12
> years,
Generally I think this is true - you can be infected this long without
showing symptoms.

That's all I canm answer.

--
Bob Culmer - Dallas        | "Hearts will never be practical until
Somewhere over the rainbow |  they can be made unbreakable." - Wizard

li40163@prism.gatech.edu (M. AXFORD) (09/26/90)

     I read, but don't remember exactly where now, that it was
announced a few months ago that a set of tests indicates that
Karposi's Sarcoma is not actually a result of AIDS.  The tests
indicated that rimming was a probable cause of Karposi's.
    Does anyone have any better information on this?

--
M. AXFORD
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!li40163