JOSEPH.ANDREWS@stjhmc.fidonet.org
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 17:53:05 PDT

In article <39596@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> you write:
=>I am very confused - have a friend who has been HIV+ whom I shall be
visiting
=>again - we are close - does deep kissing with him pose a risk
=>of contraction of HIV ? I have read conflicting opinions on oral contact -
=>mouth to mouth - its implications in this context.
=>Would appreciate comment, elucidation...
=>
=>--
=>Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!JOSEPH.ANDREWS
=>Internet: JOSEPH.ANDREWS@stjhmc.fidonet.org

In answer to your question on AIDS viability I am enclosing the
following that I either got of the net or was mailed.  It dovetails with
much of what I read on the subject and I will leave it to you to decide
what the veracity of the information and its implications.

Charles

----------Include-------------------------------v-----------

        The CDC, several books, and some AIDS information phone
information lines claim that the virus is inactivated within
'a few seconds' or 'a couple of minutes' when it is expelled
from the body. They point to research done on families where
there were negligable outside risk factors where some of the
family members shared toothbrushes or other utensils.
        On the other hand two books, one information line, and
two of the medical professionals we spoke to contend that this is
not the case.  These people say that it can survive for between
twenty minutes, and 14+ DAYS outside of the human host.  They point
to an article in JAMA from 1985, a study by the Pasteur Institute,
and cases of hemopheliacs being given freeze dried, (later re-hydrated),
blood products who came down with an HIV positive result.

        If one accepts the theory that the virus can indeed live outside
of the body, then one must ask the followup question of how likely
it might be for a person who comes into contact with the virus to
become infected.  This might happen in many ways including touching an
object that has HIV virii on it with a cut hand/extremety, rubbing ones
eyes or picking ones teeth with virii picked up on the hands, or
accidental genital contact with a toilet bowl.

JArticle 975 (1 more) in sci.med.aids (moderated):
From: matt@BRL.MIL  -- Matt Rosenblatt  (matt@amsaa-seer.brl.mil)
Subject: [4mRe: HIV life expectency outside the body[m
Date: 12 Apr 89 20:38:41 GMT
Archive-number: 679

In article <22617@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> C94882SM@WUVMD (Steve Middlebrook)
writes:

>I work on a local AIDS hotline and I have been asked the following question
>several times.  I haven't been able to find any written material that
>specifically answers it.  Could someone point me in the right direction.
>The question is:  How long can the virus live outside of the body?
>Is it even a the right question?  Is it likely that the virus is going to
>be anywhere where it is not surrounded by body tissue or fluids, except
>maybe in a lab?

>Often the caller's concerns are "hysterical" fears about AIDS on
>doorknobs etc. Sometimes though, someone is legitimately worried about a
>drop of HIV infected blood or semen on some object. What is the time
>frame involved here? Will the blood outlive the HIV, vice versa, or will
>they "die" together?   [S. MIDDLEBROOK]

Maybe the caller's "hysterical" fears came from reading Gene Antonio's
 book, _The AIDS Coverup?_.  In his scare book, which came out a
couple of years ago, Gene Antonio gave a couple of medical journal
citations which could serve as a start to "point [Steve] in the right
direction."

The September 28, 1985 issue of the British medical journal _Lancet_
contained a study by a team of French researchers from the Viral Oncology
Unit at the Pasteur Institute revealing that the AIDS virus can remain
infectious outside the body for up to ten days:

  LAV/HTLV-III, the agent causing AIDS, has been isolated from body fluids
  (blood, semen, saliva, tears).  Its isolation in saliva prompted us to
  investigate the possibility of transmission by saliva, and we have studied
  the sensitivity of LAV/HTLV-III at room temperature. . . .  The virus used
  for the infectivity assay . . . was left at room temperature for 0, 2, 4,
  or 7 days in a sealed tube or allowed to dry in a petri dish.  After the
  times indicated in the figure the virus was used to infect stimulated T
  lymphocytes and viral production was determined in cell-free supernatant
  by testing for the reverse transcriptase activity twice a week.  [The data]
  shows the unusual stability of HTLV-III at room temperature.  No signifi-
  cant difference was found between 0, 2, or 4 days.  Only a slight decrease
  is noted with a delay in the virus production indicating a loos of a few
  infectious particles after 7 days at room temperature.
    Two petri dishes containing 25,000 cpm equivalent reverse transcriptase
  of dry virus were kept at room temperature for 4 or 7 days and then re-
  suspended in 0.220 ml water and used to measure the infectivity.  As [the
  data show], significant numbers of viral particles are then inactivated,
--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!UUCP
Internet: UUCP@stjhmc.fidonet.org

marco@ozdaltx.UUCP (Steve Giammarco) (10/04/90)

In article <39596@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, JOSEPH.ANDREWS@stjhmc.fidonet.org (JOSEPH ANDREWS) writes:
> I am very confused - have a friend who has been HIV+ whom I shall be visiting
> again - we are close - does deep kissing with him pose a risk
> of contraction of HIV ? I have read conflicting opinions on oral contact -
> mouth to mouth - its implications in this context.
> Would appreciate comment, elucidation...

Stop worrying about HIV infection w/regard to kissing. Although theoretically
possible, 11 years of studies have yet to prove deep kissing as a transmission
vector. (I assume y'all don't have braces or have unusually VIGOROUS tongue
lashings that might abrade or puncture the cheeks or gums.  :-)

However, *SOME* folks with noticeably impaired immune systems (less than
200 T4 or CD-4 cells [approximate}) sometimes have flare-ups of other
conditions/diseases that *could* be contagious via saliva.  Hepatitis,
mononeucleosis, herpes, tuberculosis (especially if he's from the
SOUTH, like Texas, etc...), and probably a host of other viral/bacteria-
borne creatures.

Giammarco's Rule of Thumb: If they're *noticeably* ill, a sincere hug and
a light peck on the lips/cheek might save you both a flurry of worry.

Not very scientific, but, asking for a laundry list of infections isn't
very conducive to warm conversation, either...

--
Steve Giammarco        5330 Peterson Ln #1211 Dallas TX 75240      214.788.0976
AIDS Resource Center   4012 Cedar Springs Rd  Dallas TX 75219      214.521.5124