[sci.med.aids] Rodilemid, again

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (10/02/90)

I posted a request for information on a Rumanian anti-AIDS drug called
Rodilemid last week.  My girlfriend (who has been asked to act as a
dietitian on a trial of it in Rumania, with orphanage children as subjects)
has since been sent a 250-page book of reprints on it, all of which are by
the same investigators.

The drug is monocalcium disodium edetate L-cysteine calcium gluconate,
which is primarily a chelating agent.  It was used as a herpes treatment in
Bucharest by Romulus Dinu and his wife Elena; they were then at Bucharest
University but have since left for a company called IMECO, the Industrial
Corporation for Medical Drugs and Cosmetics.  The Dinus have also tried it
for multiple sclerosis.

Something doesn't sound quite right about this.  Has anyone else, anywhere
in the world, looked at the stuff as a treatment for anything?  What do
people know about the Dinus?

--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6044 work  041 556 1878 home
JANET: jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk    BANG!net: via mcsun and ukc   FAX: 041 330 4913
INTERNET: via nsfnet-relay.ac.uk   BITNET: via UKACRL   UUCP: jack@glasgow.uucp

ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org (David Dodell) (10/04/90)

On <Tue, Oct 02 12:53>, UUCP (jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk Date: 2 Oct 90 12:53:53
GMT) wrote:

 >I posted a request for information on a Rumanian anti-AIDS drug called
 >Rodilemid last week.

 >which is primarily a chelating agent.  It was used as a herpes
 >treatment in
 >Bucharest by Romulus Dinu and his wife Elena; they were then at

Jack, as I mentioned directly last week, I could not find anything about this
drug in MEDLINES or AIDSLINE ... I ran a search last night on Romulus Dinu to
see if he has published any articles, and again MEDLINES and AIDSLINE came up
empty.

I agree, something very fishy here.

David

          St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona
        uucp: {gatech, ames, rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!ddodell
    Bitnet: ATW1H @ ASUACAD                    FidoNet=> 1:114/15
    Internet: ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org       FAX: +1 (602) 451-1165