[sci.med.aids] Attutudes towards AIDS

aberno@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Anthony Berno) (10/14/90)

After reading some of the things on this board,  I think it's time I
expressed some of my own views, not in response to some
particular message, but to the messages here in general.

I've given a LOT of thought to the subject of AIDS, as a lot
of my friends are HIV+, and I am involved in a "mixed marriage"
myself, where I am HIV- and my lover is HIV+. This prompted me to
give some long, serious thought as to how I conduct my life.
I see a lot of discussions on this forum that I feel are quite off
base in terms of their basic approach. It is quite clear as well that
many have been posted by people that don't have experience with
AIDS in everyday life. My opinions are by no means authoritative, but
I think that their pragmatism is shared by a lot of people in the gay
community that have had AIDS affect their lives directly or
indirectly.

First of all, there is a lot of flap about condoms. Are they safe enough?
What if they break? All good questions. What you have to keep in mind
is that condoms, ON THEIR OWN, are an absolutely terrible way to
prevent AIDS. However, they are part of a strategy that can control the
risk.
I have what I call my "triple protection plan" to reduce the chances of my
acquiring AIDS. It is:
1) Use condoms for sex. I don't use them for oral sex, as studies have shown
that this is an unlikely mode of transmission. But for all other types of
penetrative sex, they are a must.
2) Use the right lubricant, always. This means something water based,
with Nonoxynol-9. This vastly reduces chances of breakage.
Nonoxynol-9 also seems to reduce the risk by deactivating the virus.
3) Have the "active partner" (God, what a horrible euphamism) pull out
before ejaculation. Then, even if there is breakage, the chance of
transmission
is reduced substantially.

Secondly, there is this matter of only having sex with HIV- persons. I think
this is hooey. If you make this requirement, people will lie to you. Simple
as that. Unless you take the time to get to know someone REALLY well,
you can never really be sure. A simple rule: If you wouldn't do something
with an HIV+ person, don't do it with anyone. (Unless you are married, I
guess.. but people have been known to sneak around on the side!) Assuming
that everyone is HIV+ actually makes your life much simpler with less worry.
In the gay community, HIV is so widespread that any other approach is
foolish - among hets, it's just a nice, sensible idea.

There are also people out there that are terrified of having any kind
of sex with anyone. Well, it's safe, but I consider that somewhat
extreme. Everything in life involves risk, and if you avoid all
risk, you aren't living. What are you really afraid of? Dying?
Being labelled as a leper because you have AIDS? Or dealing with your
own sexuality? There is so much fun to be had with truly safe sex, ranging
from simple jerk-offs to elaborate fantasy games that, by my reckoning,
everyone should be doing it. There is no reason that sex HAS to expose you
to any risk at all. The main stumbling block to this are people's archaic
notions that sex has to involve penetration, and that anything else doesn't
make the grade.

Finally, there is this question of who is "responsible" for AIDS
transmission. I don't think this is much of a question at all. Of course,
it is unethical to have unsafe sex with an HIV- person
if you are HIV+. However, if you are HIV- and have casual sex
without  protection, you are either consenting to be infected or
are so outrageously stupid that you probably have bigger problems than
AIDS to deal with. This is harsh, I know, but there is nothing to
be gained by assigning "blame" to any party - AIDS can be
prevented, and preventing your own infection is nobody's
responsibility but your own!

Of course, this principle is not completely extensible. I don't extend
it to people to that were infected before people were really aware of
the magnitude of the epidemic. But let's consider a touchier case -
a couple that has been married for 25 years, the husband picks up a
prostitute, gets infected, and transmits it to the wife. Who is at fault?
The husband wouldn't exactly say "OK dear, we're using condoms
from now on." His wife would kind of wonder at that! I guess this
is a case where you could blame the husband, but there is actually a
much larger issue at hand than where to place the blame. The problem
here lies in people's approach to sex on a very basic level.

In this husband and wife scenario, there is some pretty blatant
hypocrisy going on. They are attempting to subscribe to a
monogamous model of sexuality that is very clearly dysfunctional
for one reason or another. This marriage has been placed into an
impossible situation - clearly the husband can't, or is not willing to,
be monogamous, while he must maintain the farce of fidelity. In the
past, this schizophrenia, which has existed for decades in American life,
could be conveniently ignored, or at least propped up with the famous
toilet-seat defense. Now, AIDS is not only impossible to get from
a toilet seat, it is fatal. This requires some restructuring of
our models of relationships.

Some people are quite content in eternal, monogamous relationships.
Some are NOT, and there is nothing wrong with that. Forcing the shoe
of monogamy onto someone whose feet are too big is only going
to cause sore feet. If AIDS is going to be controlled, we have to
understand that, for some people, monogamy would lead to a
nervous breakdown, and that non monogamy is just as valid an option
for them. Getting back to the husband/wife scenario, what could
have prevented them from both becoming infected? Here are some ideas.

1) The husband could have made a conscious choice to have safe
sex whilst sneaking around. This is not the best solution, but is
probably the most realistic. The only way he could make this decision
would be to accept his own infidelity, think hard about his best option,
 and do it with a clear mind. With the stress of not fulfilling the
monogamous model of marriage and confusion over his sexual
identity, (monogamous/nonmonogamous), condoms were probably
the last thing on his mind. Sure, it's his own "fault", but Mr. Husband
is a human being, and humans can get confused and do stupid things
when they are compelled to do one thing while being told to do
another. As I said, let's focus on prevention rather than blame.

2) Mr. Husband could have sat down with his wife beforehand, and
said "Honey, I love you but monogamy is impossible for me. Please
try to understand. Here is a box of condoms that we should use, as
I am going to be at some risk for AIDS and I don't want to infect
you."  This might end in divorce, but I'd take divorce over AIDS
any day.

3) Although this is no longer an option for our hypothetical
couple, this is a matter that should have been discussed openly
and honestly before the marriage ever occured. Guidelines should
have been set regarding fidelity, safety and such, recognizing that
regardless of one's romantic ideals, nobody is perfect.

Clearly, these are not things that people are used to doing. But,
if AIDS is going to be contained, society as a whole MUST sort
out where it's at with respect to how relationships work.
Perfect monogamy is a nice ideal, but it just isn't happening,
and so long as people have sex, we have to consider what to do
about AIDS.

So, in short: AIDS is serious business, but you can still have fun
and keep the risk at an acceptable level. Creativity in sex is
helpful in keeping it fun without increasing the risk. You should
assume that everyone is HIV+ for your own safety, and not
discriminate against those that actually are. Your health is
nobody's responsibility but your own. Finally,
thinking about prevention is infinitely more important than
assigning blame, and preventing the spread of AIDS requires
rethinking some of our most basic assumptions about sex, love,
marriage and monogamy.

jay@banzai.PCC.COM (Jay Schuster) (10/16/90)

In <40117@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> aberno@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Anthony Berno) writes:
>I have what I call my "triple protection plan" to reduce the chances of my
>acquiring AIDS. It is: ...
>3) Have the "active partner" (God, what a horrible euphamism) pull out
>before ejaculation. Then, even if there is breakage, the chance of
>transmission is reduced substantially.

I would hardly recommend this as a way to prevent HIV infection, just as
I would hardly recommend it as a method of birth control, and for the same
reasons.

If you can do it, great, but I wouldn't (I know you weren't recommending
this) rely on just it.

>A simple rule: If you wouldn't do something
>with an HIV+ person, don't do it with anyone.

Amen.
--
Jay Schuster <jay@pcc.COM>	uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!jay, attmail!banzai!jay
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'