[sci.med.aids] NEW TERMINOLOGY

Top.Gun@f462.n204.z1.fidonet.org (Top Gun) (11/07/90)

I'd like to propose some new (I think) terminology.  I first ran into this
in Dublin, Ireland, and I quite like the sound of it.  The term is
Body Positive, 'BP'.  It is used in place of the term HIV+.  I believe it
puts forth positive imagery of a disease that is devastatingly negative to
most of the world.

I therefore ask that if you agree with the above, that you in turn impart
this positive terminology to your friends or anyone who is talking about
HIV+ individuals...spread the word...my heart felt THANKS.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!204!462!Top.Gun
Internet: Top.Gun@f462.n204.z1.fidonet.org

SECBH%CUNYVM.BITNET@oac.ucla.edu (11/08/90)

Top.Gun@f462.n204.z1.fidonet.org (Top Gun) writes:

>I'd like to propose some new (I think)
>terminology.  I first ran into this
>in Dublin, Ireland, and I quite
>like the sound of it.  The term is
>Body Positive, 'BP'.  It is used in place
>of the term HIV+.  I believe it
>puts forth positive imagery of a disease '
>that is devastatingly negative to
>most of the world.

"Body Positive" is the name of the support organization for HIV +
people in NYC, and I think the same name is used for a similar
organization on Boston.

Jack Carroll

curtis@duck2.ingr.com (Curtis Sieber) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.011307.9998@cs.ucla.edu>,
Top.Gun@f462.n204.z1.fidonet.org (Top Gun) writes:
|> I'd like to propose some new (I think) terminology.  I first ran into this
|> in Dublin, Ireland, and I quite like the sound of it.  The term is
|> Body Positive, 'BP'.  It is used in place of the term HIV+.  I believe it
|> puts forth positive imagery of a disease that is devastatingly negative to
|> most of the world.

Funny thing... I really think that this is the *first* slang term I've
heard for anything AIDS-related. Either that, or my brain isn't
functioning well again... The closest we get to this sort of thing in
Huntsville is merely to refer to HIV+ people (in any phase of the disease)
as 'positives'. Even the support group here is called "Positive People".
It's not really "slang", rather just a truncation of HIV+, which is an
acronym itself. Are we getting a little far off course (a term derived from
a truncation which was derived from an acronym of a medical term) ?

Any other interesting "newspeak" language revisions out there? (-:

  O O O          IB: Curtis Sieber               O O O
 OlOlOl    EMAIL: uunet!ingr!b11!duck2!curtis    lOlOlO
OlOlOl USMAIL: Rt 2 Box 551, Somerville, AL 35670 lOlOlO
l l l VOICE: (205) 498-3206 (unlikely to reach me) l l l
               ALT: curtis@duck2.b11.ingr.UUCP