[sci.med.aids] WARNING: re: ORAL SEX

v069paxq@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Christophe Scozzaro) (12/03/90)

in a recent article.. it was stated that in san francisco by area there is
a study going on... and 82 ppl are in it.... they are all HIV+
they revealed by self report that 17% said the ONLY hi risk activity they
EVER engaged in was ORAL SEX

making the warning: beware of oral sex.. that is unprotected....

again SAFETY FIRST

lady@uunet.UU.NET (Lee Lady) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec2.231638.3510@cs.ucla.edu> v069paxq@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>in a recent article.. it was stated that in san francisco by area there is
>a study going on... and 82 ppl are in it.... they are all HIV+
>they revealed by self report that 17% said the ONLY hi risk activity they
>EVER engaged in was ORAL SEX
>
>making the warning: beware of oral sex.. that is unprotected....
>
>again SAFETY FIRST

This study was done at UC Berkeley by a doctoral candidate in the school
of public health.  It certainly deserves to be taken very seriously.

On the other hand, there was an article in the Village Voice November 6(?)
pointing out some aspects of this study that were not mentioned in the
original press account.  Namely, several of the subjects had special
factors involved which would make them somewhat atypical.  One had been
engaged in anal sex within a few weeks prior to the beginning of the five-year
period covered by the study.  One had had over 900 different sex partners
during the period in which he became infected.  Several had been
practicing "deep throat," which may be more risky than the more common
form of fellatio.

I am in no way a medical expert, but it seems to me that quite a bit of
additional study will be required before one can say just how high the
risk of receptive fellatio is.  The Berkeley study certainly indicates,
though, that there is at least some risk.

--
Lee Lady    lady@well.sf.ca.us

"Ninety percent of life is just showing up."  --Woody Allen

synth@yenta.alb.nm.us (Synth F. Oberheim) (12/12/90)

decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!lady@uunet.UU.NET (Lee Lady) writes:

>I am in no way a medical expert, but it seems to me that quite a bit of
>additional study will be required before one can say just how high the
>risk of receptive fellatio is.  The Berkeley study certainly indicates,
>though, that there is at least some risk.

>From what I understand, fellatio is quite risky for one simple reason:
mucous membranes in the mouth.  Any type of cut or lesion (even at the
microscopic level) is an easy entryway for infected semen.  And mucous
membranes are FAR more easily disturbed than normal epidermis (outer skin),
which is why mutual masturbation is, in relation, fairly safe.

    :: :: :: :: ::     Synth (F. Oberheim)  yenta unix pc  (((((In Stereo)))))
 :: :: :: :: :: :: ::  synth@yenta.alb.nm.us  Albuquerque    where available
                 "A dozen pizzas?  Oh, it's those damn KIDS!"

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (12/14/90)

The following was sent to me for posting [jpm]

From shelmrei@NMSU.Edu Thu Dec 13 10:18:00 1990
From: shelmrei@NMSU.Edu
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 09:14:53 MST
Subject: Re: WARNING: re: ORAL SEX

Most "safer sex" guidelines distinguish between oral sex (not
including ejaculation) and oral sex (including ejaculation).  The
first is generally classified as "possibly safe" or "possibly unsafe",
while the second is usually called "unsafe".  Does this study indicate
what kind of "oral sex" the subjects engaged in?

		Steve Helmreich (shelmrei@nmsu.edu)