Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 14:15:27 EST
From: njs@cpunk.watson.ibm.com (Nicholas J. Simicich)
To: phil@wubios.wustl.edu
Subject: AIDS drugs under pressure

Someone in my group forwarded something you posted to sci.med.aids to
me, since I am a Scuba instructor.  This was regarding the use of AZT
under pressure.  I expect that Dan's advice was on the mark.

I'd like to add this further caution: There are a number of bacteria
that inhabit water that people dive in, which are relatively unknown
to most everyone's immune system.  I attended a medical lecture last
year, and the doctor there told the people in the audience to be sure
to let any doctor who treated them for a infection after diving know
that they might have been exposed to different bacteria than one might
be likely to catch on the surface.  I think that the specific name for
the bacteria was V. vibro, but don't quote me.  I'm not near my notes.
Another example of this is diving with contact lenses.  It is possible
to get an eye infection because water has gotten into your mask.  This
is considered to be a significant risk increase over walking around
with lenses in, because of the extra bacteria.

Thus, I'd add another caveat to diving with HIV.  If one's immune
system is compromised such that one can't fight off normal infections,
there is an increased risk to diving, just as there is to entering any
environment known to be rich in hungry bacteria.  I have no way of
accessing the risk on an individual basis, and the potential diver
should assess the risk for themselves, perhaps with the aid of their
doctor.  I doubt it would be significantly different from simply
swimming in that same water, but frankly I can't offer an opinion on
that.

A final, nasty sort of thing: I have a friend who is a SCUBA
instructor in Florida who had to give CPR to someone who was foaming
blood at the mouth after a lung overexpansion injury.  I think I'd let
my instructor know I was HIV positive, if I were.  If one of my
students told me this, I'd keep a pocket mask with me in case CPR was
required.  (I usually keep a pocket mask in my first aid kit).

Nick Simicich (NJS at WATSON, njs@ibm.com) ---SSI AOWI #3958, HSA #318
Seen on a button at an SF Convention:
Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research.

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (01/25/91)

GERRI@IBM.COM (Gerri Oppedisano) wrote:
>More on scuba and HIV+ or AIDS active people..
>I'd like to add this further caution: There are a number of bacteria
>that inhabit water that people dive in, which are relatively unknown
>Thus, I'd add another caveat to diving with HIV.  If one's immune
>system is compromised such that one can't fight off normal infections,
>there is an increased risk to diving, just as there is to entering any
>environment known to be rich in hungry bacteria.  I have no way of

The part of the immune system that is degraded by HIV is not the part
that fights bacterial infections.