[sci.med.aids] Aids and politics

Richard.Dewald@p0.f70.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Richard Dewald) (02/07/91)

I would just like to chime in and mention that I support David's efforts in
eliminating the political discussions from this conference.  I note that there
are people who believe the two can't be separated.  I further note that these
are people who are involved with the disease on a personal level.  On a
personal level, I believe it may be impossible to separate politics from the
direct scientific and medical issues.

However, as a caregiver, I must separate the political from the scientific and
medical.  Science seeks to eliminate the type of human biases that are
fundamental to effective political organizations.

There are no politically correct T-cells, no Republican CD4 receptors, no
communist glycoproteins, no liberal strains of CMV.  Politics does drive
funding of research at the macro level, but that is an issue separate from the
applicability of that research to the management of the disease.  THAT, and
other like issues, should be the focus of this conference.  If a separate Fido
conference called AIDS_POLITICS were created, I would carry it and participate
for that interests me as a person, but I must separate that from my work as a
nurse.

Discussions of management of the disease MUST proceed in a rational manner,
with strict attention to empirics and demonstrable data. Political discussions
cannot thrive in and will only disrupt such an atmosphere.

I think we should note that David is not trying to eliminate the discussion of
the political issues, he is just trying to redirect them to a proper forum.  I
fully support that effort.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!382!70.0!Richard.Dewald
Internet: Richard.Dewald@p0.f70.n382.z1.fidonet.org

bob@ozdaltx.UUCP (Bob Culmer) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.153459.26836@cs.ucla.edu>, Richard.Dewald@p0.f70.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Richard Dewald) writes:
> I would just like to chime in and mention that I support David's efforts in
> eliminating the political discussions from this conference.

Me too!  Most of the time these days I no longer have the patience to
listen to the same tiresome debates, many of which I cannot help but
feel are instigated by people merely looking for a forum for preaching
their views.

> ... as a caregiver, I must separate the political from the scientific and
> medical.
>
> ... from the
> applicability of that research to the management of the disease.  THAT, and
> other like issues, should be the focus of this conference.

I don't think focus on the medical management needs to try to
duplicate the AIDS Treatment News either.  People could share
observatons from treatments used.  There are many caregiver related
issues that would complement and supplement the more lengthy technical
materials available.

And when I again feel ready to debate AIDSphobic politics head to head
on the net - I'll sign on to one of the numerous newsgroups where that
is the constant fare.  One of the advantages I always felt came with a
moderated newsgroup was the elimination of those pointless
flame-fests.

--
Bob Culmer - Dallas        |  Auntie Em -
Somewhere over the rainbow |  Hate you. Hate Kansas. Taking the dog.