[sci.med.aids] CFD: talk.politics.aids

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (02/13/91)

A call for discussion (listed below) for newsgroup talk.politics.aids
was posted in news.announce.newgroups.  Any ongoing discussion will
take place in news.groups (not sci.med.aids).

When the vote is scheduled, I'll post the call for votes (provided
someone else doesn't do so first) so that those that wish may parti-
cipate.

Doug (doug@ysub.bitnet, doug@ysub.ysu.edu, ...!uunet!ysub.ysu.edu!doug)
***** begin included text *****
|From: wolfe%wolves@cs.duke.edu (G. Wolfe Woodbury)
|Subject: CALL FOR DISCUSSION: talk.politics.aids
|Date: 11 Feb 91 19:15:36 GMT
|

|        Call For Discussion
|
|        talk.politics.aids
|        unmoderated
|
|Rationale:  For several years, various discussions about the political
|fallout from the disease Accquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) has
|been spread out over several groups on the network.  In none of these
|groups is it terribly welcome.  In certain groups, it is just plain
|noise.
|
|I have noticed that there is an increase in the volume of the traffic
|about the politics of AIDS and present to the net a proposal to
|establish a new group to be a home for the traffic that now exists in
|several different places.
|
|Despite my initial impression that this would be primarily a place to
|redirect the discussions that erupt in inappropriate places, the
|response to a "feeler" message last week prompted several replies (12)
|that indicated (11-1) that there was a perceived need for a place for
|such traffic.
|
|One response further indicated that the person was interested in seeing
|a more general group (e.g. talk.politics.disease), but no one has yet
|suggested a better name or position for the group.
|
|Further discussion is to continue for 30 days (at most) in news.groups.
|
|If there is a sentiment of sufficient interest and a consensus for a
|name and "charter" then I will present a Call For Votes sometime in the
|2nd week of March.

|--
***** end included text *****