[sci.med.aids] T4 counts and trials

The.Bird@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org (The "Bird") (02/12/91)

I have been wanting to ask this question for many months. Many studies require
t4 counts above 400 or a similar number. My blood reports from National Health
Labs indicates a NORMAL t4 count range to be 400-1500.

Since I got AIDS (PCP) my t4 count has never been higher than 97 and is
probably non-existant by now. Can someone please explain to me what the hell
good are trials for people who DO NOT HAVE AIDS since their t4 counts preclude
that diagnosis? Have we who are t4 celless <grin> just been written off?

"Bird"

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!135!38!The."Bird"
Internet: The."Bird"@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org

jayt@drbear.COM (Jay Tyson) (02/13/91)

The.Bird@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org (The "Bird") writes:

> I have been wanting to ask this question for many months. Many studies requir
> t4 counts above 400 or a similar number. My blood reports from National Healt
> Labs indicates a NORMAL t4 count range to be 400-1500.
>
> Since I got AIDS (PCP) my t4 count has never been higher than 97 and is
> probably non-existant by now. Can someone please explain to me what the hell
> good are trials for people who DO NOT HAVE AIDS since their t4 counts preclud
> that diagnosis? Have we who are t4 celless <grin> just been written off?
>
> "Bird"

I have also been maening to ask the same question.  Is there anything that
will raise T4 counts.  Mine is currently 10.  It has been as low as 4 and
once "two few to count" (however my Dr. feels the lab may have been in
error in that isolated draw)  I understand that interluken 2 (please
forgive if it is not spelled properly) will raise t4 counts only for
a short period of time then the drug become non-effective and the counts
drop again.

Also,  am I barking up the wrong tree.  The more the t cells the better
chance of fighting off infection.  Right?

If we find something to raise the t4 cell count that should increase
the chances for longer term servival?

--
John "Jay" Tyson               \        Drummer Bear Systems
                                \       jayt@drbear.COM

bob@ozdaltx.UUCP (Bob Culmer) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.164134.3900@cs.ucla.edu>, The.Bird@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org (The "Bird") writes:
> Many studies require t4 counts above 400 or a similar number.
> Labs indicates a NORMAL t4 count range to be 400-1500.
>
> Can someone please explain to me what the hell good are trials for people
> who DO NOT HAVE AIDS since their t4 counts preclude that diagnosis?

My information has been that healthy T counts are above 800.  The
"normal" range range shown on the lab reports may have a more liberal
interpretation of the usual circumstances and infections people have
that would cause the counts to vary down as low as 400.

In any event, T counts do NOT indicate the presence or absence of
AIDS.  An HIV infected person will at some point in their history
(post infection) have normal level T counts and any number of other
values depending upon how they are responding to treatment etc.
Having an actual AIDS diagnosis according to CDC standards does not
rule out having a T count above 400 - I know several such people.

As to why some of the studies are looking for people with high T
counts it is a matter of trying determine whether the treatment can
maintain higher levels (which are generally assumed to be an overall
indicator of one's general health and ability to resist progression of
the disease). The studies need to determine if the treatment can be
helpful in earlier stages of the disease.  Pre-AIDS it was all too
common for new treatments for terminal illnesses to be postponed so
late in the disease that benefits they may have provided were not
evident.  Very late in any disease failures of a treatment may mean
the treatment is not effective but could mean that the treatment
was too late.

Not being accepted for a particular study or trial does not
necessarily mean you cannot get the same treatment.  If there is a
particular treatment or drug that you had in mind maybe here or in
AIDS Treatment News you can get more information on its use and
availability.  What has your doctor said about this particular
treatment?

--
Bob Culmer - Dallas        |  Auntie Em -
Somewhere over the rainbow |  Hate you. Hate Kansas. Taking the dog.

marco@ozdaltx.UUCP (Steve Giammarco) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.164134.3900@cs.ucla.edu>, The.Bird@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org (The "Bird") writes:
> I have been wanting to ask this question for many months. Many studies require
> t4 counts above 400 or a similar number. My blood reports from National Health
> Labs indicates a NORMAL t4 count range to be 400-1500.
>
> Since I got AIDS (PCP) my t4 count has never been higher than 97 and is
> probably non-existant by now. Can someone please explain to me what the hell
> good are trials for people who DO NOT HAVE AIDS since their t4 counts preclude
> that diagnosis? Have we who are t4 celless <grin> just been written off?

A couple of things popped into mind here. Caution sez I should remind
everyone that the next few statements are regarding the activity known as
SCIENCE and has nothing to do with my opinions about compassionate use of
*any* drug.

(1) It's kinda hard to tell if one's T-cells (T4 or CD4) are improving
while using a particular drug with an absolute count of less than 400.
MD's tell me that such counts can vary as much as 200 points over a
period of several hours, *especially* in someone fighting a viral
infection.  Higher T-cell populations can show up or downward trends
if you "smooth" the math of daily variations.

(2) Lots of today's drugs have unknown side effects.  If someone who
is constitutionally and clinically ill is given such a drug, the result
may be to further destabilize an already touchy situation. Drug side
effects can be an unwanted stressor on immune and other body systems.
Scientists are starting to rethink the model that says "Let's give
'em the biggest dose we can until they get sick."  Use of Alpha Interferon
was one of those drugs that shed some light on this mode of thinking.

NOTE: I believe that *anyone* can be given *any* drug as long as they
are informed of the consequences if side effects are known, and if
unknown, informed of the consequences that drugs of this class usually
are.  If you are big enough to choose the drug, then you must be big
enough to accept the consequences, good or bad.  This is where the
*cure* can be worse than the *disease*.

--
Steve Giammarco        5330 Peterson Ln #1211 Dallas TX 75240      214.788.0976
AIDS Resource Center   4012 Cedar Springs Rd  Dallas TX 75219      214.521.5124