[sci.med.aids] forwarded post

root@ozdaltx.uucp (03/21/91)

David,
   Would you post this for me?  Not sure why I responded this way,
but got started and didn't feel like backing up and restarting again.
    >> scotty <<

> From: ST602662%BROWNVM.BITNET@mvs.oac.ucla.edu
> Newsgroups: sci.med.aids
> Subject: Painkillers & Methadone
> Date: 7 Feb 91 20:19:17 GMT
> Archive-Number: 2999
>
>    I have a friend who is on methadone maintenance, and had a recent
> visit to the hospital. He woke up one morning with severe back pain,
> most likely unrelated to his HIV+ status.

All sorts of aches and pains are being found related to HIV infection
Back problems are especially bad if the patient already has a history
of them.  Joint inflamation can be especially rough for the patient.
MAI can be the source of a lot of physical pain as it can lodge almost
anywhere.

>   He claimed that the hospital had difficulty finding a pain-killer
> which would operate in conjunction with the methadone, as this drug,,,

>   I believe they ended up simply increasing the methadone dosage.
>   In case there's a next time, or another friend down the road, does
> anyone out there know of a painkiller which works independently of
> methadone? Also, if I need correction on how methadone works...
>
> Bill Jesdale

Having "been down that road", I thought I'd pass this along for
what-ever it is worth.

Back in October '90 I started having severe back problems - terrible
multi-spasims, bad enough to actually tear muscles and legiments.
I went through the usual battery of tests to try and find the cause,
but nothing was ever defined.  In the meanwhile I was in so much pain
that My Doctor(s) started me on Flexoril (cyclobenzapr) in combination
with Naproxen.  Nerve blocks were also done.  It finially started to
help - I still have discomfort, but not to the degree as before.

The cause is still undetermined, however the doctors feel that MAI
has played a part in this.  I was started on methadone about 6 weeks
ago, take as needed. It helps, but not by itself.  I'm also taking 175
mg. Naproxen and a 10 mg Flexoril 3 times a day.  Flexoril is a nerve
fooler - not a true muscle relaxer.  (As per PDR, 90) and Naproxen
is a non-steriodal pain/inflamination relever and fever reducer.

Methadone is more commonly used as a medication to ween drug addics
from their habit.  It CAN be habit forming, as well.  Hence the reason
for taking it every couple of days or so.
All the best....
Scotty
-------
AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
               "Education is the best weapon"
{mic,void,egsner}!ozdaltx!sysop || {uunet,smu,ames}!sulaco!ozdaltx!sysop
          St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona
        uucp: {gatech, ames, rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!ddodell
    Bitnet: ATW1H @ ASUACAD                    FidoNet=> 1:114/15
    Internet: ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org       FAX: +1 (602) 451-1165