[sci.med.aids] AZT prices

th1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Timothy J. Haggerty) (03/28/91)

I have just been prescribed AZT for my HIV status, since my numbers have
gotten to the range that it seems like it might be a good idea.  I nedd
to know two things:

    1.  How much will this cost?  I've been prescribed 300 mg, a day --
what is the current list price for this (if it makes any difference, I'm
in Pennsylvania).

    2.  Are there any cheaper ways to obtain AZT (underground, buyers
clubs -- how do they work anyway?)

Anyway, any news would be appreciated. If you have any suggestions,
please respond.

marco@ozdaltx.UUCP (Steve Giammarco) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.191108.17949@cs.ucla.edu>, th1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Timothy J. Haggerty) writes:
> I have just been prescribed AZT for my HIV status, since my numbers have
> gotten to the range that it seems like it might be a good idea.  I nedd
> to know two things:
>
>     1.  How much will this cost?  I've been prescribed 300 mg, a day --
> what is the current list price for this (if it makes any difference, I'm
> in Pennsylvania).

I've seen AZT range upward from $1.00/100mg capsule. You are likely to get
it between $1.00 and $2.00/100mg capsule, closer to $2.  We're talking
almost $200/month at $2 each dose.  The dispensing pharmacy determines
the price.

>     2.  Are there any cheaper ways to obtain AZT (underground, buyers
> clubs -- how do they work anyway?)

Join a study using AZT. Stay away from placebo (sugar pill) studies.
See if your state has a state-funded AZT program. If so, see if you
qualify.  Use your health insurance (if any).  AZT is a prescription
medication and LEGALLY is not available for dispensation by buyers
clubs or underground. However, some mail order (and some local)
pharmacies give pretty good prices compared with your local Walgreens
or Eckerds.  UNDERGROUND: sometimes people who have purchased AZT
and can't use due to side effects (or death) will donate/trade. Buyers
clubs might coordinate here.  Buyers clubs can help with alternative
treatments to use in addition to AZT.  Be careful.  Alternatives
via the clubs can have undesired effects on AZT strength/toxicities.
Talk to your MD before taking. Also: the market for AZT is a big one.
(because of expense)  Possibility is greater your AZT has been tampered
with if it does not come from a pharmacy. Be careful. AZT is also
known to be had cheaper from Canada and the UK.  Buyers clubs arrange
for travelers to purchase and carry with them, LEGAL amounts of
prescription drugs obtained at a better price. You can do this
individually, too.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you with choices. Good luck. Monitor T4 cells.
Eat right. Exercise. Think positive thoughts. Find help with these if
you think they need help. These are the earmarks of a long-term
survivor.

--
Steve Giammarco        5330 Peterson Ln #1211 Dallas TX 75240      214.788.0976
AIDS Resource Center   4012 Cedar Springs Rd  Dallas TX 75219      214.521.5124