[sci.med.aids] AIDS Discrimination with dentists

scott@phlpa.UUCP (Scott Scheingold) (04/16/91)

I have recently come across my first case of discrimination
due to the fact that I have Aids. I want to know
what my available alternatives are as far as this dentist
is concerned. I have recently moved and had to find a new dentist
I talked to a couple of friends and got a couple of names of
dentists that they used. I chose one. I got to this dentists
office and filled out the first vist form. I was very honest
in answering all of the questions. One of the many questions
that was asked was what medications are you taking? I answered with
all my meds including DDI. The one other question that was asked
was have I been treated for AIDS. I answered yes. Now the doctor
took me back to a chair and started to look at the form that I
filled out. He asked me what DDI and a couple of my other meds
where. I explained that DDI was an experimental aids treatment
and also explained the others that he had no idea what they
where. He then advised me that he could not preform any work
until he had clearance from my regular doctor. I gave him the
number. He went to his office and made the phone call wich I
did verify with my regular doctor. He came back to me and
then put 2 sets of gloves on a mask and glasses on. I had
no problem with this because he has to protect himself.
Now then he looks in my mouth with his little mirror for
2 seconds. This is no joke 2 SECONDS and says that I have
HIV periondontal(sp?) disease and ABSOLUTLY no cavities
without even taking an X-ray or poking around and that there is nothing
that he can do for me in his office because I have to have a
cleaning under the gums and there will be too much "blood
letting" to do in his office.  I will have to see a periodontist(sp?)
and he did not know what doctor would see me due to my condition.
	I talked to my friend who is HIV - and he had to have
the same thing done. It takes about 4 visits to complete and
the very same doctor did it before in his office. I have
another appointment with a different dentist who I have confirmed
will see me knowing my condition.

	What can I do about this dentist discriminating against
innocent people. Or is just another flaw in the twisted system.

Scott Scheingold

jrkdmd@dmdscs.com (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.102945.5720@cs.ucla.edu>, scott@phlpa.UUCP (Scott Scheingold) writes:
> I have recently come across my first case of discrimination
> due to the fact that I have Aids. I want to know
> what my available alternatives are as far as this dentist
> is concerned.
> [TEXT DELETED]
 This is no joke 2 SECONDS and says that I have
> HIV periondontal(sp?) disease and ABSOLUTLY no cavities
> without even taking an X-ray or poking around and that there is nothing
> that he can do for me in his office because I have to have a
> cleaning under the gums and there will be too much "blood
> letting" to do in his office.  I will have to see a periodontist(sp?)
> and he did not know what doctor would see me due to my condition.
> 	I talked to my friend who is HIV - and he had to have
> the same thing done. It takes about 4 visits to complete and
> the very same doctor did it before in his office. I have
> another appointment with a different dentist who I have confirmed
> will see me knowing my condition.
>
> 	What can I do about this dentist discriminating against
> innocent people. Or is just another flaw in the twisted system.
>
> Scott Scheingold

Scott:

I commend you for being honest with the practicioners you select for your care.
It is a health professional's nightmare of not knowing what patients are being
treated for, what drugs are being prescribed elsewhere, etc.

The issue of HIV is a very emotionally charged one, people ( including some in
the health care arena ) allow fear, ignorance and hysteria get in the way of
the facts; I fear that this will not change (in reference to AIDS) until a
"cure" (as easy as penicillin for syphlis ) is found.  However, I believe that
a majority of Health care workers have accepted that AIDS patients can be
treated with appropriate precautions.  As far as IF discrimination has occured
in this case, no one can tell from hearing one side, in a couple of lines in a
posting like this; if you feel you have been wronged -- here are some thoughts:

The ADA (American Dental Association) has a long-standing policy that all AIDS
patients should be treated within the normal scope of the dentists practice for
non-AIDS patients.  (ie. You may be refered to another facility if they
normally do not perform the procedure, or the procedure is sufficiently complex
to require specialty treatment.  eg. if you needed an extraction and the
dentist did not perform extractions routinely he could refer you for that
service).

Most states have a "PEER-REVIEW" mechanism, whereby disputes or
problems between patients are settled by a hearing of "mediating" dentists.
(some states are not set up to settle anything but fee disputes, or return fees
for treatment that was in someway flawwed etc) -- check with the STATE Dental
Association where you are.

The practice of dentistry is controlled by a State Board of Dentistry.  They
also review complaints from patients and can levy fines or suspend/revoke
licensure.  -- check with the STATE Board of Dentistry.

Litigation is always a possibility.  There is a Federal Law called something
like "Americans with Disabilities Act" (ADA - not to be confused with the
American Dental Association ADA) classifying HIV infection as a Disability and
prohibiting discrimination against anyone with ANY disability.  I do not know
if this law has ever been tested yet -- it is relatively new (within the last
year or so).  Probably the local AIDS support/educational groups can offer some
assistance also.

Hoping that the new dentist works out well and you receive the treatment which
you desire.

Best wishes
-jrk

th1h+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Timothy J. Haggerty) (04/19/91)

Unfortunately, your dentist visit is not a flaw in the system, but a
fairly common event.  I had a very similar thing happen eight years ago
(I admitted to syphillis) and had a dentist freak out on me, and
consequently didn't seek dental care for five years.   I have heard this
happening to other people as well.  With the current brouhaha in
Florida, I suspect a lot of dentists who were paranoid/scared/or
homophobic have developed some justification for their actions.

Nevertheless, I think the last thing a PWA needs is to be treated like a
leper.  My dental experience was one of the most disturbing things that
hs happened to me -- to be denied care by a person who has pledged to
help other people (Or are dentists exempt from the  Hypocratic oath, and
rather, just under some pledge to accrue as much capital as possible
while inflicting pain?).

I would suggest, in particular, that this patient leave the care of this
fine practitioner (so knowledgable, in fact, that he can diagnose a
condition that necessarily precludes him from treating the patient in
the time it take us mere mortals to open our mouths) and find a dental
school.  In general, people involved in the education of dentists (both
teachers and students) are very much aware of the risks involved in
caring for the HIV positive, and have some sympathy for the patient.
Remember, anyone now in dental school has spent their entire career with
the reality of HIV, and is probably less uncomfortable then a
practitioner who has been out of school for (in this particular case,
I'd bet a very long) while.

And of course, you could threaten to sue his ass, just to throw the fear
of god into him.  Send him a letter detailing your dissatisfaction with
his (supposed) care, and cc it to the Lambda Legal fund for documentary
purposes as well as the American Dental Association.  Anyone who doesn't
want to deal with AIDS should get the fuck out of medicine.

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.191410.10183@cs.ucla.edu> th1h+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Timothy J. Haggerty) writes:
>Unfortunately, your dentist visit is not a flaw in the system, but a
>fairly common event.  I had a very similar thing happen eight years ago
>[story deleted]

It's even worse than that.  The local news station did a story one night
about AIDS in New Mexico.  My SO appeared on camera talking about the
potential problems in years to come if people continued to ignore
AIDS - the usual social commentary.  It was never implied or even suggested
that he had AIDS.  He appeared in the news story along with other "experts".
Two days later he went to the dentist.  The young hygenist actually shrieked
when she saw him.  The dentist quietly escorted him out and told him not
to come back.  Other people in the waiting room watched.

The dentist's receptionist happened to be a friend of ours.  She pumped the
dentist for information before quitting her job in disgust.  Apparently,
the dentist and several other dentists in the area have this "group"
which has an official policy against treating anyone *suspected* of
being HIV+ (read homosexual).  They even go so far as to keep a list of
*suspected* patients (read homosexual).

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot one can do about this.  It's all
hearsay and difficult to prove.  I just tell people that this dentist
did something unspeakably unprofessional and let their imagination
fill in the rest.

--
Scott Amspoker                       | Touch the peripheral convex of every
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM | kind, then various kinds of blaming
                                     |      blurts out obscenities.

bredy@alkp.serum.kodak.com (Dan Bredy (x37360)) (05/01/91)

Hi, all!

This is my first time posting to this group. I have a question which probably
is not related to the subject heading, but nevertheless very important (IMHO).
Can animals carry the aids virus? For example, if an animal bites an HIV+
person, can they transmit the virus?

Thanx,

Dan