[sci.med.aids] seroconversion time and animal studies

rjh1@midway.uchicago.edu (robert j hinde) (05/04/91)

The recent discussion of how long it takes to seroconvert after
one is exposed to HIV made me wonder if any animal studies had
been done on this subject.  For example, one might inject SIV
into a large number of monkeys and then see how long it takes
each one to seroconvert.  I know that these observations would
not be directly transferable to humans because of differences
between HIV and SIV and between monkeys and humans, but they
still might provide some interesting information, if only about
the spread of seroconversion times.

So, my questions in a nutshell are:

(1) Are such studies feasible, and if so, have they been done?
(2) Is anything known about how informative such studies would
    be with respect to the seroconversion time question in humans?

jpcapitanio@ucdavis.edu (John Capitanio) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.184320.23916@cs.ucla.edu>, rjh1@midway.uchicago.edu (robert j hinde) writes:
>The recent discussion of how long it takes to seroconvert after
>one is exposed to HIV made me wonder if any animal studies had
>been done on this subject.  For example, one might inject SIV
>into a large number of monkeys and then see how long it takes
>each one to seroconvert.  I know that these observations would
>not be directly transferable to humans because of differences
>between HIV and SIV and between monkeys and humans, but they
>still might provide some interesting information, if only about
>the spread of seroconversion times.
>
>So, my questions in a nutshell are:
>
>(1) Are such studies feasible, and if so, have they been done?
>(2) Is anything known about how informative such studies would
>    be with respect to the seroconversion time question in humans?

There is currently a very active series of research programs going on
using the SIV-macaque model, which, incidentally, organizations like
the World Health Organization and Institute of Medicine consider to be
one of the best animal models for HIV-AIDS.  Macaques, when inoculated
with SIV (which is *not* endemic to this genus), develop a very similar
disease course to HIV infection in AIDS.  Obviously, the ability to
control dose of inoculum, co-infections, and (my area of interest)
social conditions, can lead to a very powerful model.

As I said, there are several research groups doing such research.  None
have specifically inoculated macaques with SIV simply to determine
latency to seroconversion, but often, these data are reported with those
constituing the main thrust of the paper.

I am putting together a manuscript which is an archival study looking
at the influence of social factors on disease progression in simian AIDS.
My data are based on 22 monkeys, inoculated with doses ranging from
undiluted SIVmac to 10 to the minus 4 log dilutions.  Consistent with other
data, no effect of dosage was found to predict latency to seroconversion.
In fact, the only variable explaining the variance in this measure was
age, paralleling a finding in humans -- animals inoculated at a younger
age had shorter latencies.  For the 22 monkeys whose data comprise my
sample, the median time to seroconversion was 28 days, with a range of 15 to
52 days.

One important point to make about the monkey data, is that one of the most
consistent findings has been that the strength of the antibody response
to the virus correlates strongly with survival; animals who mount a weak
antibody response, or none at all, die quickly.  Finally, survival is
quite variable, like in humans.  The median survival time in the 22
monkeys whose data I used was 172 days, with a range of 89-778.  Daniel et al.
(J. Gen. Virol., 1987, vol. 68, pp 3183-3189), in their seminal paper
on persistent infection of macaques by SIV, provide considerable data along
these lines.

Finally, I might add that my preliminary data indicate that social factors
may be important predictors of disease progression.  In my archival study,
the *only* variable that explained survival duration was the relative
frequency that the animals' housing changed -- animals who were moved more
frequently showed shorter survival times.  I think these data are consistent
with the notion advanced by AIDS clinicians that stability of one's life
situation is a *good* thing for people who are ill (or at least infected).

Hope this has helped.
John Capitanio (jpcapitanio@ucdavis.edu)

Note: the usual disclaimers apply.  Please also keep in mind that this
is still work in progress.