[sci.med.aids] Animals as HIV vectors

jfh@netcom.COM (Jack Hamilton) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr30.192751.19794@cs.ucla.edu> bredy@alkp.serum.kodak.com
(Dan Bredy (x37360)) writes:
>This is my first time posting to this group. I have a question which probably
>is not related to the subject heading, but nevertheless very important (IMHO).

I could ask why it's very important, but maybe I just have a dirty mind.  I
wonder if Jeff D (FWA) reads this newsgroup.

>Can animals carry the aids virus? For example, if an animal bites an HIV+
>person, can they transmit the virus?

I think they probability is very, very small.  First, biting is not a very
efficient way to transmit HIV.  Second, HIV doesn't reproduce in animals
other than humans (that's one reason why testing drugs and vaccines
is so difficult - human subjects are needed), so the virus would have to be
left over from the first bite.  Third, the physical conditions inside a
non-human host (temperature, pH, the host's own immune system) would
probably kill off the original virus very quickly.

The odds are probably about the same as winning the California State
Lottery and being struck by lightning, at the same time.
--
Jack Hamilton         jfh@netcom.com         apple!netcom!jfh

tmb@ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.101743.27040@cs.ucla.edu> jfh@netcom.COM (Jack Hamilton) writes:
   >Can animals carry the aids virus? For example, if an animal bites an HIV+
   >person, can they transmit the virus?

   Second, HIV doesn't reproduce in animals
   other than humans (that's one reason why testing drugs and vaccines
   is so difficult - human subjects are needed), so the virus would have to be
   left over from the first bite.

That's false. HIV can replicate in several other species besides
humans. There is, in fact, increasing evidence that precursors of
the HIV virus may have been transmitted to humans independently
several times in this century and before.

The difficulty with vaccine studies in animals is not that the virus
can't infect them, but that it is difficult to evaluate how the level
of protection a vaccine confers upon an animal translates into
protection of humans.

jfh@netcom.COM (Jack Hamilton) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.105458.7668@cs.ucla.edu> tmb@ai.mit.edu (Thomas M.
Breuel) writes:
>That's false. HIV can replicate in several other species besides
>humans. There is, in fact, increasing evidence that precursors of
>the HIV virus may have been transmitted to humans independently
>several times in this century and before.

I'd be interested in hearing references for your first assertion.
--
Jack Hamilton         jfh@netcom.com         apple!netcom!jfh

tmb@ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) (05/06/91)

   Breuel) writes:
   >That's false. HIV can replicate in several other species besides
   >humans. There is, in fact, increasing evidence that precursors of
   >the HIV virus may have been transmitted to humans independently
   >several times in this century and before.

   I'd be interested in hearing references for your first assertion.

E.g.: "Isolation and Characterization of HIV from Infected
Chimpanzees", Castro et. al., Proc. Ann. Meet. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res,
29, 1988.

For the 2-month median time to seroconversion that I mentioned
earlier, for example: "Defining the Interval between HIV Infection and
the Appearance of HIV antibody.", Horsburgh et. al., Int. Conf. AIDS,
June 1989.

(NB: these just happen to be two random references that I have handy.
If you want a complete bibliography, you should make the effort and go
to the library yourself.)