[sci.med.aids] HIV -- early strains

jnynge@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (05/05/91)

I read that in a Project Inform article that there is evidence of HIV
infection dating back to the 1950's.  That is the first time I
heard anything about that.  Does anyone have any info about that or
any references??
Thanks
Jeanne

cradov@hardy.math.umass.edu (Carlo Radovsky) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May4.210031.17111@cs.ucla.edu> jnynge@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>I read that in a Project Inform article that there is evidence of HIV
>infection dating back to the 1950's.  That is the first time I
>heard anything about that.  Does anyone have any info about that or
>any references??

   Sorry to not have any references handy, but here goes:

	In 1959, a sailor in England contracted and died of a
	mysterious disease.  Tissue samples were kept, and with the
	advent of the test enabling genetic identification of the
	virus, it was determined that the man DID have HIV.

							Biagio

pmccann@spam.ua.oz.au (Paul McCann) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.220430.14647@cs.ucla.edu> cradov@hardy.math.umass.edu
(Carlo Radovsky) writes:

>   Sorry to not have any references handy, but here goes:
>
>       In 1959, a sailor in England contracted and died of a
>       mysterious disease.  Tissue samples were kept, and with the
>       advent of the test enabling genetic identification of the
>       virus, it was determined that the man DID have HIV.
>
>                                                       Biagio

The original article was published by Corbit, G., Bailey, A. and
Williams, G. in Lancet 336, 51 (1990).

A report on the research can be found in Nature, vol 346, p92 (1990).

1959 is also the year in which the earliest known serum samples
found to contain antibodies to HIV(1) were collected (in Zaire).

___
Paul   (pmccann@spam.ua.oz.au)