[sci.med.aids] Too good to be true?

rhb9805@rouge.usl.edu (Bird Rendell H) (05/22/91)

I yanked this message off of another newsgroup the other day.
Can anyone make a comment as to the validity of its claims?
I left her name intact as a matter of netiquette.

Much Thanx,
Rendell

<From: ctan@world.std.com (Cecilia M Tan)
<Subject: NLA Meeting: New Facts and Fun!
<
<
<Well, I attended my first meeting of the National Leather
<Association, last Saturday in Boston.  (Well, we were in
<Cambridge actually...)
<
<The guest speaker was Alan Chiras from Leatherforce 2000
<(The safe leathersex arm of New England AIDS Outreach) and
<APW (AIDS Project Worcester).
<
<He had some interesting things to say about safe leathersex
<and safe activities.
<
<
<ORAL SEX IS SAFE AGAIN!
<	The finally happy news was that although AIDS brochures
<in the USA tend to always list oral sex on a man as an unsafe
<activity, they don't mention things like whether he comes in
<your mouth or not.  Recent studies suggest that pre-come
<does not carry the virus (the only bodily fluid thus far that
<doesn't seem to).  If it did, it would likely not be in transmissable
<quantities.  It's not recommended that you brush your teeth
<before sucking, though and don't let him come in your mouth!

jay@banzai.PCC.COM (Jay Schuster) (05/29/91)

rhb9805@rouge.usl.edu (Bird Rendell H) writes:
><From: ctan@world.std.com (Cecilia M Tan)
><Subject: NLA Meeting: New Facts and Fun!
><
><Well, I attended my first meeting of the National Leather
><Association, last Saturday in Boston.  (Well, we were in
><Cambridge actually...)
><
><The guest speaker was Alan Chiras from Leatherforce 2000
><(The safe leathersex arm of New England AIDS Outreach) and
><APW (AIDS Project Worcester).
><
><He had some interesting things to say about safe leathersex
><and safe activities.
><
><ORAL SEX IS SAFE AGAIN!

First of all, whether oral sex is safe or not depends on the state or
agency that you are talking to.  Very little is 100% safe.  In general,
Europeans and enlightened North Americans treat oral sex as being
Safe.  The State of Vermont, and the AIDS orgs that I know of within VT
all treat oral sex as safe.

I think that you will find Alan Chiras to be a man with a mission.  As
part of APW, which treats oral sex as being safe, he ran headlong
aginst and into Boston AIDS Action Committee's policy of oral sex being
unsafe.  When he approached us as if we had been brainwashed into
believing that, and found out that, no, neither VT CARES nor the
State Dept of Health pushes that line, he was surprised.

The feeling is that many people aren't practicing ANY safe sex because
they have been told that oral sex is completely unsafe.  Then they fall
into the ``well, since I'm breaking the law, I might as well break all
of the laws'' trap.  I used to be one of those people.
--
Jay Schuster <jay@pcc.COM>	uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!jay, attmail!banzai!jay
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'