[sci.med.aids] HICN410 News -- excerpts.

dmcanzi@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca (David Canzi) (05/27/91)

                Medical News for April 29, 1991 to May 27, 1991
        Copyright 1991: USA TODAY/Gannett National Information Network
                          Reproduced with Permission

                                      ---
                                  May 1, 1991
                                      ---

                                  AZT COSTS:

   Using AZT to add symptom-free  years  to  the  life  of  someone  with  HIV
infection makes financial sense, a new study says.  The treatment, which costs
about $2,600 a year and postpones the onset  of  fullblown  AIDS,  results  in
$6,500 to $70,500 in medical costs for every year that life is prolonged,  say
researchers at the University of Pennsylvania.

                                      ---
                                  May 6, 1991
                                      ---

                        AIDS MYSTERY REPORTEDLY SOLVED:

   The mystery of the origin of the world's  first  known  AIDS  virus,  whose
discovery was claimed by both French and American researchers,  has apparently
been solved,  according to  a  report  in  Sunday's  Chicago  Tribune.  French
scientists  at Paris' Pasteur Institute say they are now virtually certain the
virus originated in their laboratories.

                               AIDS DISCLOSURE:

   Doctors or dentists with AIDS or HIV should be  legally  required  to  tell
patients  about it,  say 93% of participants in a survey published in Monday's
National Law Journal.  The survey of  800  adults  covered  a  wide  range  of
biomedical  issues.  Other  findings:  79%  say  someone who knowingly infects
another with AIDS or HIV should be charged with assault  or  murder;  64%  say
doctors shouldn't be prosecuted for helping the terminally ill commit suicide.

                                      ---
                                 May 14, 1991
                                      ---

                           AIDS VACCINE YEARS AWAY:

   None of about 20 possible AIDS vaccines has yet emerged as a top  candidate
for  large  human tests,  scientists said Monday.  Dr.  Daniel Hoth,  National
Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases says it could take 2 to 10  years
to prove a vaccine stops HIV infection and disease in real-world conditions.

                               GLIMMER OF HOPE:

   A vaccine made from whole inactivated viruses has protected monkeys from an
AIDS-like  illness,  but some experts consider a whole-virus vaccine too risky
for humans.  So other animal studies are focusing on parts of the virus.  U.S.
health officials are optimistic enough to start planning for the multinational
studies that eventually will be needed to prove a vaccine works.

                                      ---
                                 May 16, 1991
                                      ---

                                 LAST IN LINE:

   AIDS sufferers who are women,  minorities or drug users are less likely  to
get life-extending medical care,  says the first study of treatment trends for
an entire state.  The analysis of Maryland AIDS patients provides some of  the
strongest proof yet that those who get the drug AZT, and the medical attention
that usually goes with it, live much longer than those who don't.

                          WHITE MEN GET BETTER CARE:

   A report in the New England Journal of Medicine confirms that white men get
better care than others.  Access to insurance can't be the only reason,  since
most of the 719 AIDS patients studied had coverage, says Dr.  Richard Moore of
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore.

                                      ---
                                 May 21, 1991
                                      ---

                         RED CROSS UNDERGOES CHANGES:

   The American Red Cross is making changes in an effort to come to terms with
the age of AIDS.  The $120 million reorganization -which includes  temporarily
closing each of 53 blood centers on a rotating basis over the next 2 1/2 years
-  is  the  latest  attempt  to  clean  up  an  image  tarnished by reports of
inappropriate handling of blood contaminated by hepatitis viruses and HIV.

                       CONFIDENCE IN BLOOD SUPPLY DOWN:

   While Red Cross  officials  hope  the  public  will  be  impressed  by  the
magnitude of the cleanup plan,  it won't be easy:  Last summer, about the time
the recent string of controversies began, the blood supply was considered safe
by only 44% of people - down from 48% in mid-1988.

                                      ---
                                 May 23, 1991
                                      ---

                            AIDS TESTED DISCUSSED:

   The federal government could smooth the way for controversial AIDS  testing
policies  by  covering the medical expenses of everyone infected with the AIDS
virus, says Dr.  Marcia Angell, editor of The New England Journal of Medicine.
Such  coverage - plus new anti-discrimination laws - would "give those at risk
an incentive to be tested," Angell says.

                       AIDS HAS TOLL ON LYMPHOMA CASES:

   Grim news emerges from updated  projections  of  the  effect  of  the  AIDS
epidemic on non-Hodgkins' lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph system. Doctors have
known  for years that AIDS patients are more likely than healthy people to get
the disease,  but a new study by the National Institutes of Health  shows  the
number is growing sharply among men between 20 and 49.

                          PATIENTS SURVIVING LONGER:

   The  increase  in  lymphoma  can  be  traced  to AIDS patients' lengthening
survival.  Improving treatment  can  ward  off  lethal  infections,  but  AIDS
patients'  weakened  immune  systems  still  may somehow develop non-Hodgkin's
lymphoma.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Volume  4, Number 10                                              May 25, 1991

              !                                                !
              !              Health Info-Com Network           !
              !                    Newsletter                  !
                         Editor: David Dodell, D.M.D.
                   St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
    10250 North 92nd Street, Suite 210, Scottsdale, Arizona 85258-4599 USA
                          Telephone +1 (602) 860-1121
                              FAX +1 (602) 451-1165

   Copyright 1991 - Distribution on Commercial/Pay Systems Prohibited without
                              Prior Authorization

The Health Info-Com Network Newsletter is distributed weekly.  Articles  on  a
medical  nature  are  welcomed.  If  you  have an article,  please contact the
editor for information on how to submit it.  If you are interested in  joining
the automated distribution system, please contact the editor.

E-Mail Address:
                                    Editor:
                              FidoNet = 1:114/15
                           Bitnet = ATW1H @ ASUACAD
                     Internet = ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org
      LISTSERV = MEDNEWS @ ASUACAD.BITNET (or internet: asuvm.inre.asu.edu)
                         anonymous ftp = vm1.nodak.edu
       (Notification List/ftp = hicn-notify-request@stjhmc.fidonet.org)

Associate Editors:

o   Dr. J. Martin Wehlou (Bitnet: WEHLOU@BGERUG51)

--
David Canzi

John_Graves@cellbio.duke.edu (John Graves) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.154130.19915@cs.ucla.edu>
dmcanzi@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca (David Canzi) writes:
> AIDS MYSTERY REPORTEDLY SOLVED:
>
>    The mystery of the origin of the world's  first  known  AIDS  virus,
whose
> discovery was claimed by both French and American researchers,  has
apparently
> been solved,  according to  a  report  in  Sunday's  Chicago  Tribune.
French
> scientists  at Paris' Pasteur Institute say they are now virtually
certain the
> virus originated in their laboratories.

This is a very confusing posting.  Does this mean that HIV was isolated
and identified in the French Pasteur Institute first and not be Dr. Robert
Gallo at NIH.  If so the French claim would not be anything new and
instead would be a breaking of previous agreements about joint independent
credit for identifying HIV.

If on the other hand this does indeed mean that HIV was produced in the
Pasteur lab, this would be quite an important admission of guilt for
having started this epidemic out of a piece of lab work.  I doubt that
this is the case but would certainly like more information than obtained
in your briefly worded summary.

Please explain what this paragraph means both literally and politically.
Thanks.

John Allan Graves                              Unitarian Universalism
Duke University                                 An inclusive religion!
and all its components                                    ()
including the Divinity School,                           \__/
 disavow anything I say.                                  II

dmcanzi@watserv1.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.144110.10846@cs.ucla.edu> John_Graves@cellbio.duke.edu (John Graves) writes:
>>The mystery of the origin of the world's first known AIDS virus, whose
>>discovery was claimed by both French and American researchers, has
>>apparently been solved, according to a report in Sunday's Chicago
>>Tribune.  French scientists at Paris' Pasteur Institute say they are
>>now virtually certain the virus originated in their laboratories.
>
>This is a very confusing posting.
>[I] would certainly like more information than obtained
>in your briefly worded summary.

I didn't write it, I only excerpted it from HICN News (which is posted
in full in sci.med).  The university library doesn't have the Chicago
Tribune, so I couldn't look up Tribune article this is based on.

I'm going to comment based on my possibly unreliable memory.  What I
remember reading elsewhere is that the French researchers were claiming
that the American researchers did their research using virus samples
they had received from the French group.

This makes it likely that what the article means is that the virus
*samples* used by the American researchers originated in the Pasteur
Institute.  And somehow this got muddled, so it ended up sounding like
the French researchers were taking "credit" for starting the epidemic.

--
David Canzi		"You see, I believe in freedom." -- John Spragge,
			explaining his support for the restriction of

rpetsche@mrg.PHYS.CWRU.Edu (rolfe g petschek) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May29.103535.18656@cs.ucla.edu> dmcanzi@watserv1.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) writes:
>In article <1991May28.144110.10846@cs.ucla.edu> John_Graves@cellbio.duke.edu (John Graves) writes:
>>>The mystery of the origin of the world's first known AIDS virus, whose
>>>discovery was claimed by both French and American researchers, has
>>>apparently been solved, according to a report in Sunday's Chicago
>>>Tribune.  French scientists at Paris' Pasteur Institute say they are
>>>now virtually certain the virus originated in their laboratories.
>>
>>This is a very confusing posting.
>>[I] would certainly like more information than obtained
>>in your briefly worded summary.
>
>I didn't write it, I only excerpted it from HICN News (which is posted

I think that a full article can be found in the Tuesday 'Science Times'
in the New York Times some two weeks ago.  The issue was what the origin
of the first identified sample of the HIV virus *isolated in the
laboratory from an infected patient* (not made de novo).  Credit for this
useful and worthwhile discovery (which has resulted in significant
worthwhile research, including all vaccine trials, the HIV blood test,
identification of very earily victims of HIV etc) had been claimed by
both a group at the NIH in Washington and at the Institute Pasteur in
Paris.  It had been generally thought that the French group correctly
claimed precidence, hence the name HIV rather than HLTV-3 which latter
was given by the US group.  In fact it is now thought that:

A viral sample from the French group was taken to the US.  This was a
relatively vigorous sample and contaminated a sample in the US.  In
addition it had or would contaminate a sample in France.  This explains
why the French and US samples had identical genetic make-up, despite the
rapid mutations in retroviruses.  It also demonstrates that mistakes were
made in both laboratories but that all of this could well have happened
without and bad faith or scientific misconduct in either laboratory, as
it is known that a sample (but not the sample from which the virus was
finally isolated in either laboratory) was shared.
--
Rolfe G. Petschek			Petschek@cwru.bitnet
Associate Professor of Physics		rgp@po.cwru.edu