[sci.med.aids] Massage Oil & Safer Sex

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) (05/26/91)

Massage oils and latex don't mix, right?  (correct me here if I'm wrong)
So, are there any recommended replacements?

[I feel absolutely silly asking this question.  Usually I'm the campus
guru that people come to with their safer sex questions but this one
was beyond my expertise.  I'm just not into massage, how should I
know? :-)]

Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli  tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet  201-408-5389
    Would you support a law that prevented doctors from telling a

jayt@drbear.COM (Jay Tyson) (05/30/91)

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:

> Massage oils and latex don't mix, right?  (correct me here if I'm wrong)
> So, are there any recommended replacements?
>
> [I feel absolutely silly asking this question.  Usually I'm the campus
> guru that people come to with their safer sex questions but this one
> was beyond my expertise.  I'm just not into massage, how should I
> know? :-)]
>
> Tom
> --

My experiences have been that when using oils that are
petroleum based break down rubber products. I have had
condems break on a partner using baby oil.  Engaging in
like activities (specificly force, speed, etc....) did
not break when using lubricants designed for sex.  Oh,
darn,  I liked the baby oil.

--
John "Jay" Tyson               \        Drummer Bear Systems
                                \       jayt@drbear.COM

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (06/01/91)

jayt@drbear.COM (Jay Tyson) wrote:
>limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:
>
>> Massage oils and latex don't mix, right?  (correct me here if I'm wrong)
>> So, are there any recommended replacements?
>>
>> [I feel absolutely silly asking this question.  Usually I'm the campus
>> guru that people come to with their safer sex questions but this one
>> was beyond my expertise.  I'm just not into massage, how should I
>> know? :-)]
>>
>> Tom
>> --
>
>My experiences have been that when using oils that are
>petroleum based break down rubber products.

Gee, after being beaten to a dead horse state in motss recently,
you'd think people (who read soc.motss) would get his right.

*Any* oil-based substance is bad for latex.  It doesn't have to
be a petroleum derived oil to be bad for non-natural condoms.
--
Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.003233.18862@cs.ucla.edu> rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) writes:

> Gee, after being beaten to a dead horse state in motss recently,
> you'd think people (who read soc.motss) would get his right.

I'm from New Jersey, the only state that AIDS has never been a motss
disease.  That's besides the point, I don't read soc.motss becaue I
don't have the time. ;-)

> *Any* oil-based substance is bad for latex.  It doesn't have to
> be a petroleum derived oil to be bad for non-natural condoms.

Right.  As I said in my first post (the one that started all this):

       Are there any massage substances that are not oil based?

-Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli   tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet   201-408-5389
                  "People in tight pants, moving fast."

jay@banzai.PCC.COM (Jay Schuster) (06/04/91)

jayt@drbear.COM (Jay Tyson) writes:
>limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:
>> Massage oils and latex don't mix, right?  (correct me here if I'm wrong)
>> So, are there any recommended replacements?

>My experiences have been that when using oils that are
>petroleum based break down rubber products.

A common misconception is that ONLY petroleum-based lubes break down
rubber products.

Truth is:  ANY OIL-based lube will break down rubber products.  This
means not only baby oil, but also crisco, butter-flavored crisco,
coconut oil (which is fabulous -- solid at room temp, liquid at skin
temp), butter, suet, bacon fat, and vegetable oils.

I can't say the number of times I've seen someone smear crisco on a
rubber.  I guess it's better than no rubber at all.  And crisco is such
an excellent lube :-(.

If sunflower oil comes from sunflowers and corn oil from corn,
where does baby oil come from?
--
Jay Schuster <jay@pcc.COM>	uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!jay, attmail!banzai!jay
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'

danj1@ihlpz.att.com (Daniel Jacobson) (06/10/91)

Jay> Truth is:  ANY OIL-based lube will break down rubber products.

Human skin is naturally oily, but not in dangerous amounts, I guess.

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (06/12/91)

Dan_Jacobson@ihlpz.ATT.COM wrote:

>Jay> Truth is:  ANY OIL-based lube will break down rubber products.
>
>Human skin is naturally oily, but not in dangerous amounts, I guess.

My understanding is that the "oil" of human skin isn't oil at all.