[sci.med.aids] <None>

@MVST.OAC.UCLA.EDU:LISTSERV%RUTVM1.BITNET@oac.ucla.edu (11/19/90)

Full page ads have been running in the New Orleans Times Picayune for
some time now.  I quote from the ad:

          Every day, more and more people are learning to live with
     HIV.  People are finding ways to stay healthier, strengthen
     their immune systems, develop positive attitudes.  They've found
     that proper diet, moderate exercise, even stress management can
     help.  And now, eary medical intervention could put time on your
     side.

          Today, HIV positive doesn't mean you have to give up.  So,
     the sooner you take control, the better.

          For more information on living with HIV, we urge you to call
     the number below...anonymously, if you wish.

          1-800-HIV-INFO  THE SOONER YOU TAKE CONTROL THE BETTER.

The ad is "brought to you as a public service" by Burroughs Wellcome Co.
among others.

P72245CC%WUVMC.BITNET@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (01/28/91)

David-Thanks for the information on CDC and AIDS Treatment News reports.  All o
f us, I think, appreciate all the work you do to keep this informative, up-to-d
ate, and of such high quality.  Thanks again and take care

GERRI@IBM.COM (Gerri Oppedisano) (02/22/91)

******  The following is a COPY  *****************************

In article <1991Feb21.140842.18797@cs.ucla.edu>,
IQTI400%INDYCMS.BITNET@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (Phil Paxton) writes:

>Re: HIV screening.  Conspiracies aside, I'll betcha every blood sample taken,
>    regardless of the medical facility and regardless of the reason for the
>    sample, is screened for HIV and any number of other data items.
>    [Phil Paxton]

>>When we had our son tested for HIV in '86, it cost us $30.00.  Conspiracies
>>aside, who is paying for screening "every blood sample taken"?

Wait a minute.. You aren't seriously suggesting that blood samples (I assume
you mean blood donations?) are not tested for HIV are you? Who's paying for
anything that hospitals normally need to do? (I have no idea) .. Who would
the conspiracy be against if they didn't screen? Everyone?? I don't get it..

gerri@ibm.com

AIDS%PLEARN.BITNET@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (03/23/91)

                      DEAR SIRS
MY NAME IS CEZAR, I'M A STUDENT OF PSYCHOLOGY (WARSAW UNIWERSITY).
I'M INTERESTING IN CURE AND PSYCHOTERAPY OF YOUNG "DRUGMEN" AND
PEOPLE WITH HIV.I'M A MEMBER OF TRIPDU(SOCIAL ORGANIZATION OF
FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF DRUGMEN AND HIVS), AND AN OFFICIAL REPRESEN-
TATIVE ON EARN.I HAVE ALL RIGHTS TO CONNECT WITH YOU IN ALL KINDS OF
CASES.
IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HIVS' SITUATION IN POLAND,EXCHANGE
EXPERIENCES,OR HELP US,PLEASE SEND MESSAGE TO:
 (BY EARN ) CEZAR@PLEARN
 I'M ON YOURS SUBSCRIBE LIST
    OR
 (BY POST ) CEZAR CICHOCKI
            UL SACHOCKA 3/16
            02-116 WARSAW
            POLAND
TPIRDU ADRESS IS :
                   TPIRDU "POWROT Z U"
                   UL DZIELNA 7
                   WARSAW POLAND

gerri@watson.ibm.com (Gerri Oppedisano) (06/18/91)

>>Another problem is the implication that, if the victim tests positive,
>>then the infection came from the rapist.  In fact, if both test
>>positive, it's entirely possible the rapist got it from the victim.
>
>This is so unlikely that no one knows of a single case of its
>happening. Female-to-male transmission is already relatively uncommon.
>Such transmission from a single encounter is even rarer.
>
>I generally reserve the use of phrases like "entirely possible"
>for circumstances that are reasonably likely to occur.
>
>-Mike
>
>-
>Mike Godwin,        |         To see a world in a grain of sand
>mnemonic@eff.org    |         And heaven in a wild flower

The rape victim could be male, although I don't know how common
that is.

gerri