[sci.med.aids] HIV testing and rape

ST101921%BROWNVM.BITNET@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (Jack Rozel) (06/07/91)

We seem to be wandering around a little randomly and plotlessly (kinda like a
Madonna movie) with this Nitrous Oxide thing.  I've gotten some E-Mail on it
which I'll respond to as soon as I can do some fact-checking.

In the meantime, I have an ethics question:  The Kennedy guy has been ordered
to undergo an HIV test at the behest of the alleged rape victim.  I heard on
the news that the Kennedy-guy's lawyers are asking for reciprocity (?) -- that
is, that the victim undergo the same test to see if may have conracted HIV from
his victim.  This reminds me of the recent debate about the "just desserts" of
the man who contravted the virus while gay bashing.  I'm wondering what people'
s sentiment on this is.  By the way, I apologize for my tping.  The Brown U.
2400 baud lines are down and the 1200 lines are too slow for my typing, it woru
ld seem.

Sincerely,
Jack Rozel   <st101921@BrownVM.BITNET>
Students for AIDS awareness at Brown

gb661@leah.albany.edu (BROADWELL GEORGE AARON) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.203354.487@cs.ucla.edu> ST101921%BROWNVM.BITNET@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (Jack Rozel) writes:

>In the meantime, I have an ethics question:  The Kennedy guy has been ordered
>to undergo an HIV test at the behest of the alleged rape victim.  I heard on
>the news that the Kennedy-guy's lawyers are asking for reciprocity (?) -- that
>is, that the victim undergo the same test to see if may have conracted HIV from
>his victim.  This reminds me of the recent debate about the "just desserts" of
>the man who contravted the virus while gay bashing.  I'm wondering what people'
>s sentiment on this is.

Testing a rape suspect for HIV tells you absolutely nothing, and it
is just a way of harassing a person.

If the suspect tests negative for the antibody, that does not mean that
he does not have the virus.

If the suspect tests positive for the antibody, that does not mean that the
virus was transmitted.

In either case, the victim of a rape has no relevant information about
his/her own HIV status.

I am opposed to all mandatory testing for HIV.

gerri@watson.ibm.com (Gerri Oppedisano) (06/10/91)

>> I am opposed to all mandatory testing for HIV.

Aren't other venereal diseases tested for after a rape? Are
you opposed to mandatory HIV testing because of the fact that
the tests are not reliable enough or because you think it's
somehow discriminatory?

I would think it makes sense to test for diseases after a rape. Even
if the HIV wasn't contracted from the raper, wouldn't it be beneficial
for the victim of the rape to know they're testing positive for HIV?

>> Testing a rape suspect for HIV tells you absolutely nothing, and it
>> is just a way of harassing a person.

Just how unreliable is HIV testing? My impression was that it wasn't so
totally unreliable as to not tell you anything.. particularly if the
test results are positive. How likely is it that a positive HIV test is
really false?

gerri@watson.ibm.com

rpetsche@mrg.PHYS.CWRU.Edu (rolfe g petschek) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.150619.25217@cs.ucla.edu> gerri@watson.ibm.com (Gerri Oppedisano) writes:
>>> I am opposed to all mandatory testing for HIV.
>
>Aren't other venereal diseases tested for after a rape?

Test for veneral diseases [which definition I would expect includes HIV]
is madated after rape by the laws of the state of Ohio vis:

2907.27 Examination and treatment for venereal disease
(A) When a person is charged with a violation of section [essentially
the rape code] of the Revised
Code, the arresting authorities or a court shall cause the accused to be
examined by a physician to determine if the accused is suffering from a
venereal disease.
(B) If the accused is found to be suffering from a venereal disease in an
infectious stage, he or she shall be required to submit to medical
treatment therefor.  If the accused is found guilty of the offense with
which he or she is charged and is placed on probation, a condition of
probation shall be that the offender submit to and faithfully follow a
course of treatment for such venereal disease.
(C) The fact that the accused was given a medical examination for
venereal disease or the results of such examination shall not be admitted
in evidence over the objection of the accused, in a prosecution for any
offense listed in division (A) of this section.

Suggested changes to this law are welcome.

>Just how unreliable is HIV testing? My impression was that it wasn't so
>totally unreliable as to not tell you anything.. particularly if the
>test results are positive. How likely is it that a positive HIV test is
>really false?

False positives, after checking, are, I believe, very uncommon in HIV.
False negatives [prior to seroconversion] are known to happen.  The
fraction of the time a person is infectious but not seropositive is, I
think, ill known.
Routine testing of victims for sexually transmitted diseases is probably
a good idea in any case.

I am by no means an expert.
--
Rolfe G. Petschek			Petschek@cwru.bitnet
Associate Professor of Physics		rgp@po.cwru.edu

gb661@leah.albany.edu (BROADWELL GEORGE AARON) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.150619.25217@cs.ucla.edu> "Gerri Oppedisano" <gerri@watson.ibm.com> writes:
#z>>> I am opposed to all mandatory testing for HIV.

>Aren't other venereal diseases tested for after a rape? Are
>you opposed to mandatory HIV testing because of the fact that
>the tests are not reliable enough or because you think it's
>somehow discriminatory?
>

>Just how unreliable is HIV testing? My impression was that it wasn't so
>totally unreliable as to not tell you anything.. particularly if the
>test results are positive. How likely is it that a positive HIV test is
>really false?

My objection isn't based on the unreliability of testing, but on the
gap between exposure to HIV and the development of antibodies.
Let me restate the argument a little more fully.

It can take up to six months to develop antibodies after exposure. Our test
detects antibodies, not the virus itself.

Therefore, if the rapist tests negative, it does not mean that the victim
has not been exposed to the virus.  The rapist could have been recently
exposed, and not yet showing antibodies.

On the other hand, if the rapist tests positive, that doesn't mean that
viral transmission has taken place.

In either case, the victim must be tested, and retested in 6 months to
know whether or not he/she has the virus.  Thus the course of action for
the victim is the same *whether or not* the rapist is HIV-positive.

The real reason that prosecutors want to test suspects for HIV is so
they can prosecute them for additional crimes, and I am also opposed
to this.

Laws of the sort that make it illegal to transmit HIV always (to the
best of my knowledge) talk about 'knowingly transmitting' HIV.  But
to set up special penalties for people who know that they are HIV
positive creates a disincentive for testing.

Under such a legal system, if you suspect that you
may be HIV positive, then you can have all the unprotected sex you
want without legal penalties.  But if you go in for a test, then
you subject yourself to a range of possible penalties, including being
jailed for attempted murder.

Obviously, this is not the sort of thinking/behavior the legal system
should encourage.  But that is the effect of any laws against the
'knowing transmission of HIV.'

Legal remedies are the worst way to prevent HIV infections.  The best way
is through widespread voluntary testing and education.

Since mandatory testing of rape suspects a.) provides no useful information
for victims and b.) is an adjunct to unwise laws about HIV transmission,
I am opposed to mandatory testing for HIV.

I hope this makes my reasoning clearer.

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.234032.13610@cs.ucla.edu> gb661@leah.albany.edu (BROADWELL GEORGE AARON) writes:
>[why he objects to HIV testing of accused rapists...]
>It can take up to six months to develop antibodies after exposure. Our test
>detects antibodies, not the virus itself.
>
>Therefore, if the rapist tests negative, it does not mean that the victim
>has not been exposed to the virus.  The rapist could have been recently
>exposed, and not yet showing antibodies.
>
>On the other hand, if the rapist tests positive, that doesn't mean that
>viral transmission has taken place.
>
>In either case, the victim must be tested, and retested in 6 months to
>know whether or not he/she has the virus.  Thus the course of action for
>the victim is the same *whether or not* the rapist is HIV-positive.

Another problem is the implication that, if the victim tests positive,
then the infection came from the rapist.  In fact, if both test
positive, it's entirely possible the rapist got it from the victim.

>Laws of the sort that make it illegal to transmit HIV always (to the
>best of my knowledge) talk about 'knowingly transmitting' HIV.  But
>to set up special penalties for people who know that they are HIV
>positive creates a disincentive for testing.

I agree.  People who *emphasize* the responsibility of HIV carriers
to abstain from sex are really saying, "We should get all HIV
carriers out of circulation so the rest of us can continue to
screw around without worrying".  Such people are in an incredible
state of denial.  I find such denial every bit as disturbing as those
who are HIV positive without informing their partners.  Special laws
only reinforce that denial.

--
Scott Amspoker                       | Touch the peripheral convex of every
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM | kind, then various kinds of blaming
                                     |      blurts out obscenities.

rqdms@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov (Dennis Stockert) (06/12/91)

George Broadwell reasons:
>Therefore, if the rapist tests negative, it does not mean that the victim
>has not been exposed to the virus.  The rapist could have been recently
>exposed, and not yet showing antibodies.
>
>On the other hand, if the rapist tests positive, that doesn't mean that
>viral transmission has taken place.
>
>In either case, the victim must be tested, and retested in 6 months to
>know whether or not he/she has the virus.  Thus the course of action for
>the victim is the same *whether or not* the rapist is HIV-positive.

Point very well taken .... but I'd still want to know if I were the victim.
The rapist's HIV status might make a difference in my interpretation of my
own test results and in my long-term reaction.  If the rapist tests
negative, and I test negative in six months, I might be inclined to
consider it a closed issue.  If the rapist is positive, and I test negative,
I might be less sure of the results and have myself retested every six
months or so to be on the safe side (a process admittedly influenced by my
own behavior in the intervening period).

Thanks for the clarification.

* Dennis Stockert              *  Life is what happens to you while   *
* rqdms@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov   *  you're planning other things - Mom  *
*  No one that knows me would mistake my opinions for those of        *
*                 any respectable organization                        *

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun11.194701.18033@cs.ucla.edu> scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) writes:

>Another problem is the implication that, if the victim tests positive,
>then the infection came from the rapist.  In fact, if both test
>positive, it's entirely possible the rapist got it from the victim.

This is so unlikely that no one knows of a single case of its
happening. Female-to-male transmission is already relatively uncommon.
Such transmission from a single encounter is even rarer.

I generally reserve the use of phrases like "entirely possible"
for circumstances that are reasonably likely to occur.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin,        |         To see a world in a grain of sand
mnemonic@eff.org    |         And heaven in a wild flower

michaelm@ESD.3Com.COM (Michael McNeil) (06/20/91)

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) writes:

>In article <1991Jun11.194701.18033@cs.ucla.edu> scott@bbxsda.UUCP
>(Scott Amspoker) writes:
>>Another problem is the implication that, if the victim tests positive,
>>then the infection came from the rapist.  In fact, if both test
>>positive, it's entirely possible the rapist got it from the victim.

>This is so unlikely that no one knows of a single case of its
>happening. Female-to-male transmission is already relatively uncommon.
>Such transmission from a single encounter is even rarer.
>
>I generally reserve the use of phrases like "entirely possible"
>for circumstances that are reasonably likely to occur.

Since male-to-female transfer and infection by HIV from a single act
of heterosexual intercourse has been found in studies to have a rate
of about one in five hundred, I'd hardly call that very likely either.

--
Michael McNeil			Mail: Michael_McNeil@3Mail.3Com.COM
3Com Corporation		News: michaelm@molehill.ESD.3Com.COM

	And there's a dreadful law here -- it was made by mistake,
	but there it is -- that if any one asks for machinery they
	have to have it and keep on using it.
		Edith Nesbit, *The Magic City*, 1910