[sci.med.aids] Transmission

Kenneth.Wall@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Kenneth Wall) (09/07/89)

Here is a question which I am often asked but cannot answer; does anyone
have a satisfactory answer?  "If AIDS can be transmitted through blood
on a needle, then why can't it be transmitted in a swimming pool or public
restroom etc...?"  I don't know the mechanics well enough
to give someone a good reply; can you help me out?

Ken

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!305!101!Kenneth.Wall
Internet: Kenneth.Wall@f101.n305.z1.fidonet.org

converse@lorre.uchicago.edu (Tim Converse) (09/09/89)

	This is not an answer, but another question.   Does anyone
have a guess about the ease and likelihood of transmission via oral
sex (cunnilingus or fellatio) from the "doer" to the "receiver"?
I guess this reduces to the question of to what extent the virus has
been found in the saliva of HIV+ people.

--
 --- .    --- .    --- .    --- .    --- .    --- .    --- .    --- .
     |  | |||         |  | |||       |  | |||      |  | |||      |  | |||

Bruce.Wilson@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Bruce Wilson) (09/15/89)

 TC> Does anyone have a guess about the ease and likelihood of
 TC> transmission via oral sex (cunnilingus or fellatio) from
 TC> the "doer" to the "receiver"? I guess this reduces to the
 TC> question of to what extent the virus has been found in the
 TC> saliva of HIV+ people.

To the best of my knowledge, the virus is just as present in the saliva
as it is in any other bodily fluid, which is why "open" ("French")
kissing has been discouraged as an "unsafe sex practice."  The other
half of the transmission equation is its passing *into* the body of the
uninfected person.  Male to female or female to female oral sex appears
to offer just as effective a transmission route as vaginal intercourse,
with the virus passing either way into the body by way of the vagina.
The nature of the penis, versus the vagina, suggests that male to male
or female to male oral sex may not be as effective a transmission route,
but that's not to say it couldn't be a transmission route.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!290!627!Bruce.Wilson
Internet: Bruce.Wilson@f627.n290.z1.fidonet.org

info-aids@apple.com (09/16/89)

Apparently-From: attctc!ozdaltx!root

+ Subject: Re: Transmission
+ Date: 8 Sep 89 21:04:45 GMT
+
+ 	This is not an answer, but another question.   Does anyone
+ have a guess about the ease and likelihood of transmission via oral
+ sex (cunnilingus or fellatio) from the "doer" to the "receiver"?
+ I guess this reduces to the question of to what extent the virus has
+ been found in the saliva of HIV+ people.
+

There have been several papers/articles written on this
subject.  While HIV has been isolated in human saliva, there
also seems to be a component in saliva that inactivates the
HIV virus.  This is not to say that transmission could not
be had, but would be rather unlikely.  If the person on the
receiving end were to have active herpes, the likelihood of
his being infected would be greater.  Also, the giver may
also be infected with herpes if not so already.  Any opening
in either persons skin can allow penetration of a "bug" and
it may not show up for months.  Consinces is if a person has
herpes, they are more subseptable to HIV.

When in doubt - play safe!  (play safe anyway)

Scotty
AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
"Education is the best weapon"
{ames,rutgers,texsun,smu}!attctc!ozdaltx!sysop

--
To submit articles mail to ..!{apple, pacbell, netsys}!lamc!info-aids

Alan.Holmes@brunel.ac.uk (Alan J Holmes) (09/28/89)

Recently on television in the UK there was a series on aids and it's effect
on the family, the story line is that of a man having been on a business
trip somewhere in Europe, visited a prostitute and has returned home to
discover that he has contracted aids.

I am puzzled!,  I can understand how, when a person being penetrated by any
form of sexual intercouse and semen is left behind, the virus is able to
find its way into the bloodstream of the penetrated.

My query is how can the virus make its way through the relatively tough
skin covering the penis, my understanding is that the virus enters through
broken skin or through a membrane, or does the virus make it's way down
the urinary tract, and if it does make it's entry this way why couldn't
the virus be flushed away by urinating immediately after copulating?

Regards

Alan Holmes

Jack.Bowman@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org (Jack Bowman) (10/03/89)

>Recently on television in the UK there was a series on aids and it's effect
>on the family, the story line is that of a man having been on a business
>trip somewhere in Europe, visited a prostitute and has returned home to
>discover that he has contracted aids.

The story sounds fishy to me since the incubation period for developing AIDS is
years not days. Are they saying that he came home from this one and only one
trip, went to a test center and tested positive? Came down with an oportunistic
infection?

Had a 4 year business trip? <grin>

Men get syphillis from intercourse. Seems AIDS would be transmitted the same
way.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!135!38!Jack.Bowman
Internet: Jack.Bowman@f38.n135.z1.fidonet.org

FNOUR%UMAB.BITNET@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (Farzaneh Nour) (06/21/91)

I just heard that some researchers are saying that the virus can be
transmitted through saliva.  I had never heard this before.  Is it
a new finding/precaution, or just a rumor?

Farzaneh Nour
fnour@umab.umd.edu