[sci.med.aids] AIDS in precum?

robertj@uunet.UU.NET (Young Rob Jellinghaus) (06/21/91)

Sorry if this has been discussed recently, but I remember seeing in alt.sex
or some other bastion of factual information that European AIDS counselors
are giving out the advice that oral sex on a man is safe, as long as you
don't swallow the ejaculate.  The quote I remember is something like "sweat
and precum are the only two bodily fluids that have been determined to be
virus-free."  Apparently this knowledge is widespread in Europe but not
yet in America.

I mentioned this rumor to a counselor at the clinic where I got STD tested
today, and she said she'd never heard anything like that, and all the
AIDS updates she attended were still saying that oral sex on men is very
definitely unsafe.  Anyone here got the straight dope either way?

--
Rob Jellinghaus                 | "Next time you see a lie being spread or
Autodesk, Inc.                  |  a bad decision being made out of sheer

nnxxmm@mixcom.COM (Bernie D. Knuth) (06/25/91)

I would certainly like to hear more information on this subject.  A body
fluid is a body fluid, and the virus has been isolated form most of them.
As far as precum/ejaculate the all come out the same portal.

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.032743.27510@cs.ucla.edu> nnxxmm@mixcom.COM (Bernie D. Knuth) writes:
>I would certainly like to hear more information on this subject.  A body
>fluid is a body fluid, and the virus has been isolated form most of them.
>As far as precum/ejaculate the all come out the same portal.

As Randy Shilts documented in AND THE BAND PLAYED ON, a "body fluid"
is not a "body fluid." It is a code word for blood and semen.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin,        |         To see a world in a grain of sand
mnemonic@eff.org    |         And heaven in a wild flower