[sci.med.aids] Drs. & AIDS/Newsweek article

SECBH%CUNYVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (06/28/91)

"Gerri Oppedisano" <gerri@watson.ibm.com> writes:

>Now, wait one minute and let's be a little bit realistic. I think

What I think is that you should take more than one minute and
The bulk of what you evidently intended as a response and
comment on my article is not based on anything I wrote.  Furthermore,
you have garbled the facts about the Newsweek article as I gave them
so that they have no bearing whatsover on what I wrote or what
is in Newsweek.

That you might disagree with what I wrote and the opinions and
attitudes I have is fine with me, and fine that you express them
in this group.  What you wrote is not fine in that for the most
part is not based on what I wrote and you worked yourself into
a fit of anger and denunciation conjured out of thin air.

>................ and it doesn't surprise me in the least
>that Ms B feels more victimized than the person who contracted
>AIDS from engaging in the activities that are much more commonly
>tied to AIDS and HIV.

My criticism of Ms. Bergalis specifically excepted the letter she
wrote, and it is in that letter that she expresses her anger about
the mode of transmission.  Please, re-read what I wrote.

>For a while there was a big Political Correctness debate here talking
>about how there should not be any utterance of a High Risk Group,

I did not participate in that discussion and have never felt the
need of a PC checklist.  I am quite capable of discussing AIDS, having
cared for and worked for people with AIDS for near a decade, without
the assistance of a PC checklist.  I have my own mind, thank you.
My reaction to the Newsweek article has nothing to do with PC
considerations.

>Going to the hospital to get your baby delivered
>is not considered a high risk activity. Barely anyone is prepared
to accept contracting AIDS from this, and I don't understand your
feeling that people should.. You want people
NOT to be hysterical?  ...........(remaining totally garbled material
about Dr. Benson deleted)

You have completely, but completely garbled
what I wrote about Dr. Benson.  Furthermore, I expressed no
opinion whatsover about the correctness of his actions.  I did NOT
censure the mother of the infant for her fears.  Your comments
COMPLETELY misrepresent what I wrote and attribute opinions to
me which I did not express and do not hold.  Re-read my article,please.

>.......... I think if you expect people to be prepared for contracting AIDS
>no matter what they do and under almost any circumstance
>you're being very unrealistic, and I also think you are
>the one who is being self righteous.

I said nothing whatsoever that should have led you to make the above
statement.  I have to say that it seems quite clear to me that
you got the general drift of the subject matter and that I had
very negative opinions about some of it, and from that point reacted
with no attention to the details whatsoever.  Re-read my posting,
please.

>I didn't see the Newsweek article and perhaps it was written
>in such a way as to make people angry or paranoid, which I don't think
>is right, however this woman Ms B is angry and Newsweek
>is printing her viewpoint. People are free to interpret the situation
>any way they want. It's a free coountry.. freedom of speech,
>expression etc.. Why do you feel so free to your opinion and at the
>same time denying Ms. B hers?

Ms. Oppedisano, take a tranquilizer!  Ms. Bergalis can say what she
damned well pleases, and has.  And, I am quite free to comment on
it, and have.  Where did I suggest that she should not have been
allowed to speak or that her comments should not have been printed?
Re-read my article, please.

My main points are:

1.  Considering the volatile nature of this topic (as we see from
    your response) Newsweek has dramatized the frightening and
    depressing material in a manner that quite overshadows its
    rather tepid presentation of the all the factors involved in
    this very complicated issue.  I say this article will encourage
    hysteria and not do anything whatsoever to advance intelligent
    discussion and policy making.

2.  Like it or not, I DO feel that Ms. Bergalis' naive reactions
    to her current physical condition and Newsweek's playing up
    those reactions warrant no sympathy.  Ms. Bergalis has had
    every opportunity to know what AIDS is about in the past
    ten years.  This epidemic has been ravaging the world for
    a decade.  Get real Ms. O, this disease is affecting thousands
    upon thousand of non-IV drug using heterosexual men and women.
    Every American with a TV set has had the opportunity to see
    het women, het men, children, infants and hemophiliacs who
    are dying of AIDS, as well as gay men and drug users.

    I can choose not to watch TV programs about this catastrophe,
    I can say it is not my problem, I can say it is "their" business
    or I can quite frankly not give a damn.  But when I find
    out that I have AIDS - mode of transmission irrelevant -
    should I be surprised that death by AIDS is horrible
    and ugly, and not a diaphanous fading away to the churning
    of the Montevani Strings?  Should the whole world be surprised
    that this is not Sleeping Beauty?

    I hardly think so.  To quote someone we both know, "...let's
    be a little realistic."

  Jack Carroll