[comp.protocols.ibm] Query about IUCVTRAP

GG.WSF@ISUMVS.BITNET.UUCP (12/04/87)

I have been asked by a system programmer at a non BITNET site to
inquire about a program called IUCVTRAP which I gather is used for
debugging certain problems in a VM environment.  I am not a VM user
and am not familiar with this thing.  If you know what this is or
where it can be gotten, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks
Bill Frazier
GG.WSF@ISUMVS

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (12/06/87)

In article <8712042021.AA08016@jade.berkeley.edu> Bill Frazier <GG.WSF%ISUMVS.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu> writes:
>I have been asked by a system programmer at a non BITNET site to
>inquire about a program called IUCVTRAP which I gather is used for
>debugging certain problems in a VM environment.
>I'd appreciate the info...

IUCV stands for Inter-User-Communication-Vehicle (or some similar
thing. IUCVTRAP is not a debugging tool but a public domain
utility written by Artie Echock (sp?) of CUNY (I think). In the
VM environment IUCVTRAP is invoked from an EXEC2 or REXX program.
It sits and waits until an IUCV interrupt happens and parses the
incomming information and allows the program to manipulate it or
trigger other tasks.
	The program has a rival developed at Penn State University
called RXIUCV which is a rexx callable function that does the
same tasks and has a function call interface as compared to the
external module call of IUCVTRAP. I am not sure it that is PD.
	IUCVTRAP is available on the annual VM Workshop tapes and
I believe it is also on the Waterloo Tools tape. I am not sure if
I have a copy online, if you are interested, let me know by pvt
email.

--
-I said so... & said it for myself.             Indra K. Singhal
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra or amdcad!indra@decwrl.dec.com

jcmorris@mbunix.UUCP (12/07/87)

In a recent article Bill Frazier writes:
>I have been asked by a system programmer at a non BITNET site to
>inquire about a program called IUCVTRAP...

The IUCVTRAP code is available on both the 1985 and 1986 (and maybe 1987)
VM Workshop tools tapes.  If memory serves me the package was written at
CUNY.  Check with a nearby VM site; most of the larger VM installations
probably have a copy of the tape or know someone who does.  If you can't
find anyone nearby send me a note and I can send a copy.

(The 1985 VM Workshop was at Kansas State University; in 1986 it was at
the University of Kentucky.)

Joe