[comp.protocols.ibm] Session data from Netview

DENNIS@VTVM1.BITNET (Dennis Caffi) (01/14/88)

  Ok, here's some question regarding SNA Hans-Martin.

  We are running Netview and VTAM 3.1.1 under MVS/XA. I am not an MVS
expert so these questions might have an answer of "it ca't be done".

  I am using the external log file to collect session records with the
sample exit DSIEXLIT. Has anyone made any changes to this exit to
have the file "wrap" when the file fills up ?

  I would like to every night have a CLIST or something run that would
stop the session record collection, process the records in the external
log, clear the log and start the record collection again. Can this be done ?

  My final question. Can I define all my local Non-SNA 3270 terminals to
VTAM with ISTATUS=INACTIVE and still have our IMS system using BTAM get to the
terminals defined to it. This way to convert users to VTAM all I need to
to is to VARY ACT the terminal when we take it away from IMS.

  Thanks in advance for any help.

jay@splut.UUCP.UUCP (01/23/88)

In article <8801141625.AA07880@jade.berkeley.edu>, DENNIS@VTVM1.BITNET (Dennis
        Caffi) writes:
>   I am using the external log file to collect session records with the
> sample exit DSIEXLIT. Has anyone made any changes to this exit to
> have the file "wrap" when the file fills up ?

Not me, but I just made a note to myself to look this up when I get to the
office Sunday to install the latest NCP. I'll post the findings.

>   I would like to every night have a CLIST or something run that would
> stop the session record collection, process the records in the external
> log, clear the log and start the record collection again. Can this be done ?

This one, outside of the wrap question, should be a lot simpler. What you
need is a CLIST to do the processing that fires off an AT command under the
PPO task. Be careful of the PPO-task CLIST restrictions. The only tricky
part is firing off the job to do the processing; for that, you need NetView
R2 or a homebrew command processor to issue an MVS command.

>   My final question. Can I define all my local Non-SNA 3270 terminals to
> VTAM with ISTATUS=INACTIVE and still have our IMS system using BTAM get to the
> terminals defined to it. This way to convert users to VTAM all I need to
> to is to VARY ACT the terminal when we take it away from IMS.

This one's easy. VTAM doesn't allocate a device until it activates it. Since
each non-SNA local device is separate to MVS, this will work fine (providing
IMS will allocate/deallocate it, a factor on which I can provide no
assurance [I'm a CICS bigot :-] ).

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (01/23/88)