[comp.protocols.ibm] UREP on SUN

LEONID@TAURUS.BITNET (01/14/88)

Good news for those who plan to swap a VAX for a SUN: The Penn-State
Unix RSCS Emulation Program runs on SUN without additional hardware.
Using a pseudo device driver (Public Domain) one of the zs ports on CPU
board is made to talk BSC to an IBM running RSCS-V1. The user-level code
originally from PSU compiles and runs smoothly on SUN - no machine depenent
bugs, (just ordinary UREP bugs ;-)). So, if you want to have a SUN connected
to BITNET - there you go! Get the original UREP package from PSU ( send
e-mail to Dae@PSUVAX1.BITNET) which is $800 for an educational site, and drop
me a line and I'll send you the device driver.

Leonid Rosenboim, System Manager, Tel-Aviv University, Math Dept, Israel.
E-Mail: leonid@Math.Tau.Ac.IL, leonid@taurus.BITNET,
        eonid%taurus.BITNET@Cunyvm.cuny.edu
P.S.
TAURUS.BITNET was a VAX/780 and is now a SUN-3/180 !

loverso@encore.UUCP (John LoVerso) (01/21/88)

In article <8801140130.AA21999@jade.berkeley.edu> leonid%taurus.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu writes:
> Get the original UREP package from PSU...which is $800 for an educational site

$800 for UREP?  Thats unbelievable!  I cannot imagine what change in UREP
made it so valuable that the "distribution" fee was increased by 4 times!
For comparision, for $1000 you can get all of 4.3BSD, distributed fresh
from Berkeley and you get much more value for your money!

Anyway, I ran a UREP-connected bitnet site (sunybcs.bitnet) for a few years,
and had no end to the pains that UREP caused (between all the bugs and
security holes).  I would not put UREP up on any machine where I didn't
want global access to "root".  By "global", I *do* mean bitnet-wide access.

If you're going to spend on a leased-line 9600 baud link (in the USA), you'd
probably be better off running IP over it (SLIP, anyone?) and connecting into
NSFNET.

John Robert LoVerso, Encore Computer Corp
encore!loverso, loverso@multimax.arpa
[The views expressed above are my own, and no reflection of those of Encore]

owens@PSUVAX1.CS.PSU.EDU (Robert Michael Owens) (01/21/88)

In article <2518@encore.UUCP>, loverso@encore.UUCP (John LoVerso) writes:
> In article <8801140130.AA21999@jade.berkeley.edu>
        leonid%taurus.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu writes:
> > Get the original UREP package from PSU...which is $800 for an educational
        site

> $800 for UREP?  Thats unbelievable!  I cannot imagine what change in UREP
>
> want global access to "root".  By "global", I *do* mean bitnet-wide access.
>

> John Robert LoVerso, Encore Computer Corp
> encore!loverso, loverso@multimax.arpa
> [The views expressed above are my own, and no reflection of those of Encore]

well in part for your $850, many (hopefully all) of the security problems
have been addressed and all known (and reported) bugs have been fixed.
Many new features and improvments have been added (chime sockets).

actually urep2 is still available for $250. urep3 (the $850 version) was
written to support the jes/nje line protocol. urep3 is also supported for the
ibm rt/pc. the sna/udp/ip (yes that is sna over udp/ip) line driver is a real
performer.

it is interesting how people react to the cost of urep3. jnet (which
started it's life as a conceptual port of urep to vms) costs big
bucks. you do get n days hot line support but still.

owens

owens@psuvax1.psu.edu (Robert Michael Owens) (01/21/88)

In article <2518@encore.UUCP>, loverso@encore.UUCP (John LoVerso) writes:
> In article <8801140130.AA21999@jade.berkeley.edu> leonid%taurus.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu writes:
> > Get the original UREP package from PSU...which is $800 for an educational site
>
> $800 for UREP?  Thats unbelievable!  I cannot imagine what change in UREP
>
> want global access to "root".  By "global", I *do* mean bitnet-wide access.
>

> John Robert LoVerso, Encore Computer Corp
> encore!loverso, loverso@multimax.arpa
> [The views expressed above are my own, and no reflection of those of Encore]

well in part for your $850, many (hopefully all) of the security problems
have been addressed and all known (and reported) bugs have been fixed.
Many new features and improvments have been added (chime sockets).

actually urep2 is still available for $250. urep3 (the $850 version) was
written to support the jes/nje line protocol. urep3 is also supported for the
ibm rt/pc. the sna/udp/ip (yes that is sna over udp/ip) line driver is a real
performer.

it is interesting how people react to the cost of urep3. jnet (which
started it's life as a conceptual port of urep to vms) costs big
bucks. you do get n days hot line support but still.

owens

LEONID@TAURUS.BITNET (02/18/88)

Concerning my previous message on this subject:

1. I was wrong claiming the code is Public Domain. The zs_bisync.c
pseudo device  driver is based on the old UREP dup.c device driver
written by Robert M. Owens, thus the code is Copyright by the
Penn-State University. Please accept my apologies.

2. There has been a bug in the driver which caused occasional system
crashes.  This bug has been fixed, if you need the patch, please drop
me a line.

Leonid