[comp.protocols.ibm] ARTIC Card Info Request

zdb1526@dsachg1.UUCP (kelly pearce) (06/01/88)

	We are considering using IBM's ARTIC card, which is a realtime
interface co-processor providing multiple RS-232/RS-422 ports, in a
warehousing application.  This application will require simultaneous serial
I/O between an IBM 4341 mainframe, Barcode Scanners, printers, etc.  The ARTIC
card will reside in an IBM 7552 industrial computer, IBM-AT or Zenith Z-248,
(IBM-AT compatible) if possible.  Trouble is, IBM isn't at all sure if the
card will work in any other machine other than an true-blue IBM :-(.

	If anyone out there has had some experience with this card (regardless
of the machine it is installed in) I would appreciate any useful info, pro or
con.  Especially if it is functional in a Zenith Z-248 MicroComputer.

	This is my first posting to the Net, so if I did it all wrong please
don't burn me too bad with your flame throwers :-)  Thanks in advance.

KELLY PEARCE
DLA SYSTEMS AUTOMATION CENTER
DEFENSE DEPOT OGDEN
OGDEN, UTAH

pfh@pai.UUCP (Peter Hill) (06/07/88)

In article <561@dsachg1.UUCP>, zdb1526@dsachg1.UUCP (kelly pearce) writes:
> We are considering using IBM's ARTIC card....
>                                   Trouble is, IBM isn't at all sure if the
> card will work in any other machine other than an true-blue IBM :-(....

You should be able to use a clone.  I would try out a specific configuration
before committing to it.

I'm working on a project that uses two Artics per PC-AT "subsystem
controller."  The target machine is an IBM 7532 industrial PC, but we do
all our development on a Hewlett-Packard Vectra AT-clone.  We also tried
(briefly) AT-clones by AST and Acer, and the Artics seemed happy enough
in those machines.

By the way, one of our Artics came from Allen-Bradley, which OEMs it under
their own name.  A-B happened to have 'em in stock.

We don't use much IBM-supplied software on the Artic.  Quadron Service Corp.
(Santa Barbara, CA; 805-966-6424) sells packages called QCF and QMON that
provide a C language interface to a multitasking monitor.  We used their
low-level I/O functions and our own protocol handlers to talk to the various
devices in our subsystem (IBM robot, G&L programmable controller, IRI vision
system, and a barcode reader).

Hope this helps.

Peter Hill                                                     +1 612 894 0313
Prime Automation, Inc.        ...{sun!tundra,ihnp4!umn-cs!hall,bungia}!pai!pfh

mab@druhi.ATT.COM (A.Bland) (06/08/88)

+
+ You should be able to use a clone.  I would try out a specific configuration
+ before committing to it.

I have an ARTIC in my AT&T 6310 (an AT clone) and it seems to work fine
using IBM software.

I believe that some of the larger clone manufacturers perform certification
testing of certain software and hardware configurations, so you might want
to contact your favorite clone maker and ask about compatibility.
--
Alan Bland
AT&T Denver Labs

mab@druhi.UUCP ("A.Bland") (06/08/88)